Users logged in through which NIC

Special Forums IP Networking Users logged in through which NIC
# 1  
Old 03-23-2006
Users logged in through which NIC

We have two NIC cards in our IBM RS/6000 F50 running AIX 4.3.3

We are trying to make sure we have moved all users to log in through the new NIC.

10.22.x.y (old)
10.22.x.z (new)

How can I tell which users are still using the old address for logging in so I can update their work station to point to the new address? It is a large warehouse with hundreds of users.

Unfortunately, the actual IP address is used from their 286/386 DOS workstation (glorified terminal) in order to connect to the box (it's in the autoexec.bat), so we have to change each workstation.

I know there are too many issues to list with this setup, and DNS would solve most of it, but that is further down the path.

TIA
# 2  
Old 03-23-2006
Why no just assign both addresses to the new NIC?
# 3  
Old 03-24-2006
We are upgrading to a new hardware platform. The idea is to get everyone pointing to the new NIC card, and when we cutover, we just assign the address to the new machine and now everyone is pointing to the new machine.

Problem is, if you're still pointing to the old address, those work stations will be idle come Monday morning.
# 4  
Old 04-02-2006
Are you logging in with telnet or SSH?

If SSH, check for an environment variable called SSH_CONNECTION.

e.g. SSH_CONNECTION='81.92.103.204 2563 212.101.7.123 22'
that is SSH_CONNECTION='{client ip} {client port} {server ip} {server port}'

I'd stick a line in everyone's .profile to append that variable to a file at login. In that way you'll have generated a tab-separated file containing exactly what you want within about a day.
# 5  
Old 04-04-2006
Here...

You do
"netstat -pn", it will show each connection as to foreing and a local address.

Hope it helps.
# 6  
Old 04-28-2006
I am not into AIX.
So options and parameters may differ thereon.
But generally netstat should also on an AIX box
show the local IP addresses used by tcp sockets
(e.g. netstat -an)
Maybe the AIX netstat further offers an option to limit to tcp connections like GNU,
as with -t ?
You could combine this with the who command,
or if you have it on AIX, the lsof command (but I doubt it's available there).

You could also force your users on a certain NIC by using some tcp wrapper
for your network login services (e.g. telnet, rlogin etc.)
On Linux xinetd handles this automatically by conf file entries for those services.
Most commercial Unix vendors will offer a tcp wrapper for their OS free of charge
(e.g. HP-UX does)

If your users connect via SSH you could set the ListenAdress directive in
sshd_config to the IP address (viz. NIC) you want your users to connect to
(by default sshd will listen to all local up NICs)
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users logged into the system

So I'm trying to write a single line command So I have to use last first in this command and I've figured out the format my professor wants it in, something like thislast | cut -d' ' -f1,15 | sort > check | uniq -c.... and I never can get it right, when I just last command I get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoubleAlpha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users not logged in for last 90 days

Hi, How to find the users who did not login into a UNIX box (thru ssh/ftp or any other way) for last 90 days? I think of using "finger" or "last" command to findout each user's last login and then find number of days between today and that day. Is there any other better way or anyone prepared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Current logged in users

I have 2 systems. (1) RHEL5 and (2) winXP pro from xpPRO putty i ssh into rhel5 : user root from xpPRO i ftp into rhel5 : user abc123 when i run #uptime it only shows 1 user when i do #ps -u abc123 : it shows vsftpd deamon PID is there a command that can be used to show all currently... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many users are logged in?

How do I find this out? I have a feeling its a simple command such as who, but I just don't know what it is. I've had a search on here but either I can't put it into the right search criteria or there isn't a topic on it. Thanks. EDIT: Delete this thread, as I posted it I noticed the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_rabz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users Not Logged in

I have searched the forums but have not mangaed to quite find what im looking for. I have used to /etc/passwd command to present me a list of all users the who command to present all users currently logged on, but what i want to know is what command can i use to display users that are registered... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
12 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

logged out users

how to find out users who logged out within 5 minutes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshni
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX users get logged off while idle.

Im "supporting" at least 2500 HP-UX workstations with CAD-related software with the B.11.11 build. I cant say anymore than that because of my companys sligtly paranoid security policy . The last few days a new problem has arised from nowhere. The problem is that users gets logged off when the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laoinjo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many users logged

in unix what is the syntax to find out how many users are currently logged in (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know what users are logged in to account

hello all say im logged in to account ar root , but I can't change any thing there ( like username ) if someone is already logged in also . how can I know who is ( user name ) also connected to the user im using ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information about users who have logged.

Hi, Suppose I have a programme called Menu. This menu has various choices as we would expect from a Menu. Now Can you Please help me as I want the details of the Users to be registered to some file , Whoever has entered this particular Program . Basically to see the username and the time that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question