Error while reading line by line.

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error while reading line by line.
# 1  
Old 04-16-2012
Error while reading line by line.

Hi ,

I have a number of files having an average line count of 10,000 lines. I have to read each file line by line and output the parsed lines into one single output file. The combined size of all the input files will be around 25 MB.
I'm using a re-directed while-read loop
Code:
while read LINE
do
done < $FILENAME

But all the lines are not parsed into the output file. Some of the lines in big files containing more than 10,000 lines are being ommitted and it goes on to read next file. All the lines in files below 3000 lines are read correctly and not ommitted.

I haven't got any clue as to why this is happenening. Is it a memory issue or code issue ? Smilie
Can anyone give me an insight as to why this is happening and how can it be rectified.

Last edited by angie1234; 04-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: modified the code part
# 2  
Old 04-16-2012
This is just an example? Is your parsing really just adding a line count? How are you iterating over the files?

As is there, this is much better
Code:
awk '{ print NR, $0; }' file1 file2 ...

# 3  
Old 04-16-2012
This is just an example. Just want to mention the skeletel of the loop. Have huge number of line parsing conditions inside the loop .

And as for awk , the body of the loop contains many back-slashes . So while converting from this loop, it gives many errors.
So I thought i would attack one at a time. First I want to rectify, the omitting of lines from reading problem.
Is it caused by the while-read loop ?

Last edited by angie1234; 04-16-2012 at 12:14 PM..
# 4  
Old 04-16-2012
There is nothing wrong with the skeleton of the loop.

Everything else, the stuff you didn't post? I have no idea.

Post a sample of the input you have and the output you want and we'll show you how to do it.
# 5  
Old 04-16-2012
How do you notice these lines missing? In a text editor? One thing that comes to mind is printing it to a terminal if they have \r line endings it'll seem to overwrite. Also in bash I'd use read -r
Are you using any continue or break, maybe your logic is wrong. It would certainly be easier if you posted real code.
# 6  
Old 04-16-2012
It really depends on your input files and what you do inside the loop. The only thing that will not always work correctly with this loop skeleton is that there should be double quotes around "$FILENAME" .
# 7  
Old 04-16-2012
Providing that these are correctly-formatted unix text files the only major stopper might be if individual records are too long or if you are using arrays (whether it be Shell or awk).
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file line by line and print required lines based on pattern

Hi All, i want to write a shell script read below file line by line and want to exclude the lines which contains empty value for MOUNTPOINT field. i am using centos 7 Operating system. want to read below file. # cat /tmp/d5 NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Reading a file line by line into multiple arrays

Hi - I have a file that contains data in this format:- #comment value1 value2 value3 #comment value4 value5 value6 value7 #comment value8 value9 I need to read value1, value2 and value3 into one array, value4 value5 value6 and value7 into another array and value8 and value9 into a 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file line by line and processing for each line

Hi, I am a beginner in shell scripting. I have written the following script, which is supposed to process the while loop for each line in the sid_home.txt file. But I'm getting the 'end of file' unexpected for the last line. The file sid_home.txt gets generated as expected, but the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question