How to disable insecure protocols?

Operating Systems AIX How to disable insecure protocols?
# 1  
Old 12-14-2015
How to disable insecure protocols?

Hello all,

planning to secure AIX sever by disabling insecure protocols/cipher suites; got the below requirements from secuirty team.

1.configure the server to disable support for DES and IDEA cipher suites

2.disable insecure TLS/SSL protocol support
Configure the server to require clients to use TLS version 1.2 using AEAD capable ciphers.

3.disable TLS/SSL support for RC4 ciphers

4.enable support for the below ciphers
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA

I was trying to understand the existing settings using "openssl" command options.

we do not have any web server on AIX servers(only application server and database). I believe application use its own java and SSL.
do we still need disable above settings on AIX ?

Please suggest, if anyone has already worked on these type of requirements.

How to confgiure above settings and how can we revert back if something goes wrong.

**I will try the recommended changes on lab server. its not going to affect any server/app.
# 2  
Old 12-14-2015
Unfortunately nobody can understand what your security dept requires from you. As for me it seems that they even don't understand what they want. You have to speak with them and make clear:

1. There is no single point in a UNIX operating system, where you can enable or disable a cipher. Every application can implement its own cipher and you have no control over it.

2. There are at least 2 "cipher libraries" - IBM's GSKit and OpenSSL. OpenSSL can be IBM-compiled, Perzl-compiled, Michael Felt-compiled, Bull-compiled, and own-compiled. As far as I remember, Michael Felt also has LibreSSL for AIX, but he knows it better and he is sometimes here. This is the 3rd "cipher library", which can be used.

3. There are some places, even in AIX, which have nothing common with these libraries. E.g. password hashing is implemented using so called Loadable Password Algorithm (LPA) modules. AIX has modules for MD5, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512, Blowfish. If somebody requires some other module, they have to develop it on their own.

4. There is 3rd party software, which has their own cipher modules, and doesn't depend on libraries. The best example is OpenSSH. You can have IBM-compiled OpenSSH, or Michael's compiled OpenSSH. You can also have some other SSH-based servers and clients, e.g. Tectia SSH server. And you're right, when you speak about Java - it has its own SSL implementation.

Just to make it easy - you are not the only one, who receives such stupid requirements from people thinking they are "security professionals" and who've read yesterday for the first time in the lifes about POODLE or some other bug in OpenSSL. Your duty as a professional system administrator is to speak with them and make them clear that their requirements too inaccurate and cannot be implemented without additional information.
# 3  
Old 12-14-2015
thanks for your reply. my team is checking with them to get more info. meanwhile, i was researching online. thought of getting experts suggestion here. I will update here, if i get any useful info. thank you. Smilie
# 4  
Old 12-16-2015
i found something related to ciphers that affect AIX on IBM. would like to share here.

IBM - My notifications

---------- Post updated at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:42 PM ----------

Did you guys had a chance to re mediate these issues in your environment ? we're using java version 7 on AIX 7.1
# 5  
Old 12-16-2015
Yes, it is a known issue, they updated it yesterday/some days ago. The same way as with other security patches - you download APAR (the link is on the site), untar it, install using emgr.

But this issue has nothing common with your original question. It describes a known vulnerability in RC4 cipher and describes how to fix it in AIX 7.1 TL3 SP5 and some other versions, which are listed there. Let's say you don't use ftpd, sendmail, popd and imapd on your server, but you use IBM Directory Server. Then the provided fix doesn't make any sense for your server, because it doesn't fix IBM Directory Server, which has the same problem with RC4 cipher, but fixes only the services, you don't use.
This User Gave Thanks to agent.kgb For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

SSL/TLS renegotiation DoS -how to disable? Is it advisable to disable?

Hi all Expertise, I have following issue to solve, SSL / TLS Renegotiation DoS (low) 222.225.12.13 Ease of Exploitation Moderate Port 443/tcp Family Miscellaneous Following is the problem description:------------------ Description The remote service encrypts traffic using TLS / SSL and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

what are L2,L3 protocols.

hello forum members, What are L2 and L3 Protocols and can u brief me a bit little ie to gain a basic knowledge. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Netfilter conntracking for P2P protocols (edonkey, bittorent...)

Hi everyone, I would like to allow multi users to access P2P networks, so I wonder if there's a way to tracking these kind of protocols with netfilter, and also compatibility with nat, like the module conntrack_ftp seems to do with the FTP protocol. Thanks guys. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

define IP protocols on network

what method would I use to determine which IP protocols network (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar mar
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

More command insecure

The more command allows a user to invoke shell. If it is run using the sudo command this will give a user a possibility to run whatever he wants with root's privilegies. Does anybody know about a command with the same abilities that more but without escape to shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odashe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protocols

What protocol would be the best to use on a network with nt and unix servers and windows me clients? Can SMB protocol be used to implement large networks? What protocol can be used to make remote file systems appear as if they are local? Quite a few questions I know, any help would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnash
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network protocols

Which network protocol is used by UNIX systems to make remote file systems appear as if they are local? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OLLERTON
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question