Howto find the data and management IP address

Operating Systems AIX Howto find the data and management IP address
# 1  
Old 01-12-2015
Howto find the data and management IP address

Can anyone help me to find the data and management IP address on a IBM unix server without looking at the /etc/hosts file. sometimes the hosts file may not make it obvious between the data & mgmt ip addresses. thanks
# 2  
Old 01-12-2015
Are you talking about a HACMP cluster?
# 3  
Old 01-12-2015
Perhaps netstat -na might give you more of a clue. Look for IP addresses that don't have a default route defined for them.

Of course, that's is still no guarantee. You need to tell us a bit more about what the server does, is it:-
  • HACMP (probably most likely)
  • Oracle RAC
  • SAN connections
  • Private networks for database connections
  • GFS
  • Something else?
We might then be able to steer you to find the answers you are looking for.

Robin
# 4  
Old 01-12-2015
At my company we have many unix servers hosting oracle databases. The unix servers have many NIC interfaces to allow access to the server via putty for db admin staff like me or access to the database for applications. Typically each server will have a management lan and a data lan attached to each NIC. To connect via putty to the server I have to specify an IP address. I just need to know is there an easy way to identify the data & management IP addresses. Most of the times the /etc/hosts file has this info with comments that make this obvious, other times this info is not readily available and in this instance how do I find this info ?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
# 5  
Old 01-12-2015
You would probably need to investigate your RAC configuration.
# 6  
Old 01-12-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerjit.jhalley
Typically each server will have a management lan and a data lan attached to each NIC. [...] I just need to know is there an easy way to identify the data & management IP addresses
Basically, the answer is: no. A UNIX host doesn't deal with "management-", "data-" or "other-" NICs, one NIC is just like the other to it. What makes one interface a "data-interface" and the other a "mangement-interface" is just the way you use it - the system has no knowledge about that.

Having said this: it is quite common that the LAN has special segments for different purposes, so your request is quite understandable. Even if there is no explicit way to do this there might be implicit ways which may work in your case better or less good.

Usually, LAN segments have different IP address ranges and are connected only via routers. Observe the subnet mask of the various IP interfaces to know the host-part and the net-part of the address: you need to convert the subnet mask to binary. The part with ones is the net part, the one with the zeroes the host part. Here is an example: determine if IP1 and IP2 are on the same subnet:

Code:
IP1: 10.15.3.5
IP1: 10.15.129.3
SNM: 255.255.128.0

SNM: 11111111.11111111.100000000.00000000
          net part <---||---> host part
IP1: (10)    .(15)    .000000011.(5)
IP2: (10)    .(15)    .100000001.(3)

You see, they are not on the same subnet, because the net part differs in the last bit: a "0" in IP1, a "1" in IP2.

In most cases all the "data-NICs" are in one subnet, all the management-NICs in another, all the "backup-NICs" in a third, etc.. Observing serveral different servers might give you a clue what is what.

Another possibility is to check the DB-configuration itself: check the listener-configuration and tnsnames.ora to see which interface the DB uses for its outgoing data. This, obviously, is the "data-NIC".

You can also use the netstat utility to find all the ports behind which services are listening. netstat -an will also give you hints about the involved network connections and you might find that all the ssh-sessions go over one NIC (perhaps the "management-NIC"), whereas the listeners are connected via the other NIC (this hints at being the "data NIC"), while a connection to the TSM server is using the third NIC (perhaps for backup/restore/collecting archive logs).

With some creativity you might find even more ways. Still, for the system itself any interface is like the other and there is no (principal) difference between them save for the use you make of it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 01-12-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Where to find IP address to location data?

I'm trying to remotely probe a range of IP addresses. First I need a list of IP addresses for a very small geographic area. I've had a lot of trouble obtaining them. I would like to find a database or something. Suppose I do get the data. Can I see if that IP address is in use by someone? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockandAir
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto get only filename from find command in Linux?

Hi every body! I would like to get only filename in the result of find command in Linux but I don't know howto. Tks so much for your helps. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOWTO create in UNIX a Microsoft Excel-Sheet (with data from Oracle)

Hi HOWTO create in UNIX a Microsoft Excel sheet (with data from Oracle). At the moment I am making CSV files (using SQL statemens with || ';'), but search for more advanced formatting. Don't wish to use Perl. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto capture data from rs232port andpull data into oracle database-9i automatically

Hi, i willbe very much grateful to u if u help me out.. if i simply connect pbx machine to printer by serial port RS232 then we find this view: But i want to capture this data into database automatically when the pbx is running.The table in database will contain similar to this view inthe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boss
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data management

I am wondering if there is either a unix file management utility out there. I currently manage about 4 TBs of data and sometimes need to determine who is using what space. ( i can run it either on solaris or linux). Frank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto read data into a shell script

Hi all, I'm anew shell user, and want to now how to do that? i have a files that have inside few raws of names of directories, i want to read only the lins that are a dir name how to do so. the file looks like that #################################### # This is the list of dirs files ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: banjo
4 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

windows howto find

Hi all! How would you do the equivalent of find ! -type f..... under windows? Meaning, how under a directory could you find all files except those named *.mp3 for example? the command under linux would be: find $DIR ! -name "*.mp3" what would be that under windows? Thanx for any ideas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question