Network interface not found ?

Operating Systems Solaris Network interface not found ?
# 1  
Old 03-03-2008
Network interface not found ?

Hello,
I have just installed Solaris 9 x86 in a VMWare and the 1st problem I have is to enable the networking. I can only see the loopback interface and nothing else.

- I dont have any /etc/hostnames.xxx
- ifconfig -a shows only the loopback
- kstat -c net shows only the loopback ...

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tex.
# 2  
Old 03-03-2008
maybe use solaris nevada... it has a better vmware support.

Home at OpenSolaris.org

i never tried solaris 9 in vmware...
# 3  
Old 03-03-2008
see if you can get a list of attached devices under prtconf or /etc/path_to_inst. off the top of my head i don't exactly remember which will give you better output. but you'll probably see bge0, ce0 and so on. try and plumb the device if you can find it.
# 4  
Old 03-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupp
see if you can get a list of attached devices under prtconf or /etc/path_to_inst. off the top of my head i don't exactly remember which will give you better output. but you'll probably see bge0, ce0 and so on. try and plumb the device if you can find it.
its a vmware machine! so it should be vmnet0 or something like thet. but i don't know if solaris 9 runs in a vmware environment!
# 5  
Old 03-03-2008
haha good point. i kinda glazed over that. well... i only have limited experience with vmware but i'm trying to remember if it was something on vmware's side of the deal. because it should be auto discovering that interface right? maybe a "properties" kinda thing and you need to specify how vmware is to allocate interfaces.
# 6  
Old 03-03-2008
so i checked out this pdf: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf looks as if solaris 9 is good to go for an install.

also looking over some of this stuff. i found this.
Quote:
Solaris 10, 32‐bit guests supports the Flexible network adapter driver. If VMware Tools is installed on the guest,
the adapter driver identifies itself as Vmxnet. If VMware Tools has not been installed on the guest, the adapter
driver identifies itself as pcn.
After installing the Solaris 10 Operating System on a virtual machine, the pcn driver appears. Install VMware
Tools and reboot the virtual machine to ensure that the default pcn driver switches to vmxnet.
now i know its solaris 10 but this could be very similar to what is going on in 9. does vmware tools need to be installed in order to make this interface come up as vmxnet?
# 7  
Old 03-04-2008
This was a double post so I deleted it, sorry

Last edited by Tex-Twil; 03-04-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

2. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

network interface -

Hello, Please, how can i create a network interface with a routable IP address on linux (ubuntu) ? AND How can i desactivate an interface? Thank you so much for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Network interface-

Hello, Please what's the difference between: AND Thank you so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

6. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network interface goes down intermittently

Hi all, I'm using an HP Proliant server with double NIC and Debian 5 (Lenny) as its OS. I used link bonding on it for several years with no problem. Today, (now only one interface connected to switch) the interface went down. I restarted networking service (/etc/init.d/networking restart) and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
7 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris 10 Interface not found:NIC

Hi Gurus Im a fresher and im working.I installed solaris 10 on my windows PC(dual boot) but im not able plumb my interface..everytime i use ifconfig command and tried different interfaces like eri0,ce0 etc but its displaying that interface not found.I know that there is some problem with... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
15 Replies

9. Solaris

No network interface detected

Hi all, I just install solaris10 at home to learn b4 taking the sun courses. Can't get the internet on my IntelPC. I'm using cable thru SMC ezcard 10/100. I ran ifconfig -a and it only shows lo0. No hme0. Pls help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: maag
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Interface

Hi ! Does anyone know how can i get information about my network interface ... if it works in half or full duplex mode !! Thx in adivance ! Witt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question