Where do I find my mac that is connected via Firewire in Terminal application?

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Where do I find my mac that is connected via Firewire in Terminal application?
# 1  
Old 12-07-2010
Where do I find my mac that is connected via Firewire in Terminal application?

I have my iMac and MB pro connected by firewire. I can see the connection in the finderwindow, but can't locate the machines in terminal. Can someone help me? I do most of my work in Terminal and would like to move/copy files from one machine to another like that -- I could have sworn I was able to do it before with my MB Pro and my other iMac. Please help! I think I'm maybe not setting something I should be.

Also, it seems that whenever I connect to my firewire machine from the finder window (using 'connect as' and typing in the username and password,) I lose the connection when I switch to another window and I'm back to being connected as a 'guest', What's going on and how do I maintain that connection?
# 2  
Old 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitsfan
I have my iMac and MB pro connected by firewire. I can see the connection in the finderwindow, but can't locate the machines in terminal.
It may be acting like a network connection, not a mounted filesystem.
# 3  
Old 12-09-2010
So how do I know which connection I have, and how do I only make it I firewire connection? Is the network connection something that happens automatically when you have the computers going through the router?

And what exactly is a mounted file system?
# 4  
Old 12-09-2010
I'm trying to give you whatever clues I can to help you find the answer but don't know it myself. I'm not intimately familiar with how the connection between macs works. But I do know a tiny bit about firewire, including that it acts like a network connection when you plug it between computers.

A mounted file system is a file system you see in the shell like /path/to/files. To access the remote files you'll need to mount them somehow.

[edit] goggling "apple file sharing" showed me that OSX may be using AFP (apple filing protocol) for this. There are ways to mount AFP from the shell. See here
# 5  
Old 12-13-2010
boot one in FW target disk mode. Go to System Preferences, start up disk, and click on target disk mode. This will cause one Mac to boot into FW Target Disk mode, which will then allow it to be mounted like if it were an external HD.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

2. Open Source

The Terminal on Mac OS X

Does anyone know the differences in commands when it come to Linux and Mac OS X? I'm wanting to know if I use "this" command in Linux and It doesn't work in Mac then what command is equivalent to the one in Linux. Example Ctrl+Alt+f2 switches to (tty2) so what equivalent switches to ttys2 on Mac? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
13 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

How to see connected macs through terminal?

Been a while since I've been here; I have my iMac and MBpro connected via firewire, and they can see each other when I open the finder windows. But I'd like to be able to 'see' each computer on the other via the terminal application; and I can't see them right now. I can transfer files via the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pbpaste to application in terminal

Is it possible to execute a pbpaste command to an application or current application in focus? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
0 Replies

5. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to find the IP address of a computer that I am connected to?

Hi all, One of my computers (an iMac) was recently stolen, but I have been able to connect to it over the internet through Apple's 'back to my mac' feature. In order for the police to find these people they need to know the IP address of the stolen computer. I suspect that I will have find the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJFoulston
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

application to be run on machines connected in same network

I have a set up of 5 machines which are connected in same network. Now i want to run a small application so that those machines are not ideal. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

New to Mac OS X Terminal

Hi everyone. I'm new to using the Terminal and was just wondering if anyone had a link to perhaps a list of commands. And tips on some useful websites to visit or books to read. Oh and is there a way to delete just part of the Terminal's history? If so what is the command? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsemperidem5
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question