Calling a subroutine with arguments

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling a subroutine with arguments
# 1  
Old 04-03-2009
Calling a subroutine with arguments

Hello,
I am having problem calling a subroutine with arguments, can any help? is the approach I am using correct?

main()
{
# This is just a subset of the code
#$b & $lnum is already define in this section of the code

checkboard $b $lnum

}

checkboards()
{

ln=$lnum
mycounter=1
if [ "$b" > 1 ] ; then

while [ "$b" < "$mycounter" ] ; do

sed -n $ln'p' TSimWager.txt | printf ' %s\n' $c

let ln=ln+1
let mycounter=mycounter+1
#echo "\nWager Number ${ln} is:" $c
done
fi
}
# 2  
Old 04-03-2009
checkboard $b $lnum

Within the subroutine "checkboard" the value of the parameters is $1 and $2 (not $b and $lnum).
# 3  
Old 04-03-2009
methyl,
Thank you very much, I will try and that and see if it works
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl -Calling the Subroutine Only if the condition is met

Hello All, I am in the process of learning perl.I have a perl script and based on the arguments passed it would the appropriate subroutine that is defined in the script. Now, I need to check a value that is defined in the Environment variables and should call the subroutine only if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a perl script with arguments from a parent perl script

I am trying to run a perl script which needs input arguments from a parent perl script, but doesn't seem to work. Appreciate your help in this regard. From parent.pl $input1=123; $input2=abc; I tried calling it with system("/usr/bin/perl child.pl $input1 $input2"); and `perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept arguments in shell script when calling in perl

I have a shell script like this: #!/bin/sh $PYTHON MetarDecoder.py < ../data/mtrs/arg1/arg2 And I'm calling it with this in perl: my $output = `./metar_parse.sh --options`; It's successful when I put in actual values for arg1 and arg2 in the shell script, but I'd like to pass arguments... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civilsurfer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling perl subroutine from shell script (sh)

Hi, ive a perl script, where it has a subroutine clear() in it, and i've one shell script which runs in background, from that shell script i wanted to call subroutine which is in perl script, that's perl script is not module, just simple script. Eg: perl script <test> #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asarunkumar
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Subroutine

Okay I have a 1TB drive that is almost completely full with vids. I am in the process of converting them to mp4. I have two scripts right now. One is a shell script to convert them with Handbrake. The other is a script to get a sort of progress report. To make things easier to understand, I will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalton63841
0 Replies

6. Programming

gfortran compiling problem,calling too many arguments

Hello, My problem is with compiling a program modelling shallow water. In it there is a subroutine called stat with 9 parameters. In the main program it is called with 9 parameters also I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 with gfortran version 4.5. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 11:57 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_franz
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling perl subroutine from perl expect module

All, Is it possible to call a subroutine from the perl expect module after logging to a system that is within the same program. My situation is I need to run a logic inside a machine that I'm logging in using the expect module, the logic is also available in the same expect program. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
5 Replies

8. Programming

Subroutine Hung

Hi friends I am Administrator for a system works with uinx OS but, many times I get messages from server console inform me about Subroutine is Hanging so what can I do to reset this Subroutine? Note: always when I got that I restart the server but I think that is not professional solution. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
3 Replies

9. AIX

Using the passwdpolicy() subroutine.

Okay, so in AIX, there are various subroutines that is built in to the OS. The subroutine is I want to use is passwdpolicy(). So I want to construct a C program that will be able to pass credentials into the program and thusly into the subroutine. I'm not asking for homework, or for someone to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in subroutine calling

Hi, we can call the subroutines using two ways .... 1) calling subroutine name preceeded by & symbol. 2)Another one is without &symbol.... what is the diff b/w these two.... ############################ #usr/bin/perl fun; sub fun { print "hi this is from perl\n"; }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question