file name query

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file name query
# 1  
Old 01-05-2007
CPU & Memory file name query

Hi Everyone . i m kinda newbie so spare me if question seems stupid Smilie
what i want to do is something like this

rsh node1 tail -20 /var/opt/fds/statistics/FSC-InapInterface_2.0_A_1-2006-12-24-0000.stat >> node1.txt

now problem is this that in this case the date was 24th december 2006 but that file has new name everyday ( the date portion changes ) , how can i ammend above given line to work like that it gets date from system and then put it in above line .. so that i dont have to change this text every day ..
i hope i m making myself clear . if not kindly lemme know
thanks in advance and waiting for any help
# 2  
Old 01-05-2007
use,
Code:
`date +%Y-%m-%d`

# 3  
Old 01-05-2007
tried this

rsh node1 tail -20 /var/opt/fds/statistics/FSC-InapInterface_2.0_A_1-'date +%Y-%m-%d'-2-0000.stat >> node1.txt

aint working Smilie
# 4  
Old 01-05-2007
Be careful with the quotes:
Quote:
'date +%Y-%m-%d'
They shoul be: `
Try this way instead, if you like:
Code:
sh node1 tail -20 /var/opt/fds/statistics/FSC-InapInterface_2.0_A_1-$(date +%Y-%m-%d)-2-0000.stat >> node1.txt

Anyway, this last file name is not the same you wrote on your 1st post...
# 5  
Old 01-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard
tried this

rsh node1 tail -20 /var/opt/fds/statistics/FSC-InapInterface_2.0_A_1-'date +%Y-%m-%d'-2-0000.stat >> node1.txt

aint working Smilie
that wont work!

take care of the backticks Smilie
# 6  
Old 01-09-2007
Why not assign the system date time to a variable like in the example below.
TIME_SEC=`date +-%Y-%m-%d-%H%M` gives you -2007-01-09-1043
TIME_SEC=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M` gives you 200701091044
You can then use the variable $TIME_SEC in your script.
Hope this helps.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement Query in a file

Hi All, Please can you help me with below, i have a file with records ( eg of one record below) Record R1 - The field separtaor between records is | (Pipe) |123|Mukesh\r\n|Vivek"sharma| Now i want to do the following for each record in the file if there is any field ( lets say field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file - Query

Hi, I have file with format abcd.gz.20151011.1 , i need to rename as abcd.gz.20151011.we can use move command for one file. How to change multiple files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File grep quick query

Hi Experts, I need some suggestion on file grep. I am trying to find multiple pattern with the file grep as below grep "2013" trace.log | grep -f pattern.cfg -i > $LOG if ; then mail -s "Exception" "sample@abc.com" < $LOG fi Is it possible to obtain what pattern I got in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query about opening the file

I have a query regard the opening of the file. Suppose I have opened the file Let's say view filename And then I found that I have to do some changes in that, but I do not want to close the file Then how I can change the permission of the file from read mode to write mode Regards Adi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Log file query

Hello all, I am trying to query a log file based on 5 conditions; Information, Warning, Error or Warning, Error or Information, Warning, Error. Sample of the log file: 2010-04-25 12:47:06 Information: Network-Socket(1) process started. 2010-04-25 12:47:09 Information: SNMP-Socket(1-1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on File checking

Hi All, I am a newbie to Shell programming and stuck with the folllowing issue: Here is the code: #! /bin/sh if ; then echo "Checking if the file is found or not" fi On running, I get the following error: spk265@linax1$ ./shell ./sample/samplenew ./shell: line 3: I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

query file name

Experts, New Year Greetings to everyone! Is there a way I can query the filename from the file itself? I am writing a bunch of similar 'csh' scripts, which differ by the file name and same difference is inside the script. e.g. script1.run.csh .... set vrbl = script1 ....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question