tr command with uname -n

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tr command with uname -n
# 1  
Old 06-04-2010
tr command with uname -n

Using the command :
echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm'
it works,but this translation changes depending on the system.

I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system :

mil22h_from='mil vrn frl'
mil22h_to='mci vci fci'

czhs0362_from='mil vrn flr'
czhs0362_to='mot vot fot'

I'd like to use a command like this :
echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s uname-n_from uname -n_to
but it doesn't work.

tks in advance
Smilie
# 2  
Old 06-04-2010
You are not using the right command. tr command replaces character by character and not a strying by another string

Use sed command
Code:
echo $eup_terminal_code | sed "s/uname-n_from/uname -n_to/"

# 3  
Old 06-04-2010
The result I'd like to obtain is the following :
depending on the system name 'uname -n' a variable content should be replaced
with another string,example :
for mil22h system mil with moc flr with foc vrn with moc
for mil21h system mil with mac flr with fac vrn with vac
tks in advance

---------- Post updated at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:33 PM ----------

Let's say that I'd like to change a content of variable defined on change_from with the content defined on change_to,example mil with moc ,flr with foc :
change_from="mil:flr:vrn"
change_to="moc:foc:voc"
how can i do this ?
# 4  
Old 06-04-2010
Code:
echo 'mil22h system mil with moc flr with foc vrn with moc' |sed 's/mil/moc/g;s/flr/foc/g;s/vrn/moc/g'

or, per your later post:
Code:
echo 'mil22h system mil with moc flr with foc vrn with voc' |sed 's/mil/moc/g;s/flr/foc/g;s/vrn/voc/g'

# 5  
Old 06-05-2010
this will work under the condition of "if 'uname -n' == mil22h ..............
But is there a way to solve this issue without change the source,I mean using only variables : example
mil22h_from(system name)="mil:flr:vrn"
mil22h_to(system name)="moc:foc:voc"
mil06h_from="mil:flr:vrn"
mil06h_to="mac:fac:vac"
I'd like to avoid to change the sourec and in case os a new server only two new variables will be necessary :
new system name_from="xxx:xxx:xxx:"
new system name_to="yyy:yyy:yyy"
Depending on the result of "uname -n" the command will choose the right variable
tks all of you in advance for your help
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

3. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RedHat, Solaris - what is uname command ??

Hi ! All I'm big fan of Unix/Linux . I want understand the basics of linux/unix version and How they are related to Vendor ... releases. uname -a will give the OS details. But can somebody provide me a pointer , to understand the very BASICS of these terminology like Million Thanks.!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

5. Solaris

small doubt reg uname command

Am new to solaris can anyone explain the fields in the below command. Also let me know the difference between nodename and hostname. Here osnask2 is the hostname and type SUNOS. What abt the remaining fields.? #uname -a SunOS osnska2 5.8 Generic_117350-47 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uname info

Hi all, on my linux i typed uname -a which gave me Linux dell.domain.net 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp #1 SMP Wed Sep 28 19:30:04 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux I was checking kernel version i also didnt know what linux i have... So if i undersood this correctly , i have fedora core 4 ? Also ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttoni
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and remote command exec `uname -r`

Hi guys, I am trying to do a ssh for performing a set of actions. Find it below: I need to put the user/ kernel/ DISTRO variables before I complete this operation. what I observed is when ever I put a `command` in those quotes, it performs thta action in local system rather than remote one.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmukund
5 Replies

8. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

9. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question