fstab

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fstab
# 1  
Old 06-18-2011
fstab

hi ,

i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions.

thanks
# 2  
Old 06-18-2011
Try:
Code:
comm -23 <(awk '{print $2}' /etc/fstab | sort) <(mount | awk '{print $3}' | sort)

It will incorrectly show swap partition as unmounted, as it is not present in mount command output.
This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 06-18-2011
thanks bartus11 for your fast response,
when i try the code this is the result:
Quote:
root@ubuntu:~# comm -23 <(awk '{print $2}' /etc/fstab | sort) <(mount | awk '{print $3}' | sort)

/
devices
/etc/fstab:
<file
for
/media/floppy0
none
swap
Use
to test more i plug my usb flash drive into my laptop, the usb was automatically mounted, so i umount it and i run the command, but i get the same result as the last time.
# 4  
Old 06-19-2011
try this
Code:
# comm -32 <(awk '!/^#/{print $2}' /etc/fstab|sort) <(mount|awk '{print $3}' |sort -u)

This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:
# 5  
Old 06-19-2011
thanks ygemici for your help,
i get the result i need.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/fstab entries

Hi, Can anyone explain why we use defaults 0 0 in fstab and what does 0 inidicate 10.250.104.50:/home/u /home/u nfs defaults 0 0 Thanks in advance Muzaffar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/fstab mount issue

I have a virtual machine with Redhat installed . I am trying to link CD/DVD Drive 1 to /media/cdrom1 and CD/DVD Drive 0 to /media/cdrom0 I tried making these changed in /etc/fstab by adding the below line to it /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Mount /etc/fstab

Can you please help me mount below filesystem in fstab ( I have rhel 5 ) as the line is long - it is not taking as single line How can break this in 2 line and act as one ....please help ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add option to fstab

I need as script (awk/sed?) to add noatime option to fstab. It should append ,noatime to whatever is in column 4 if noatime isn't already there, leaving comments alone. input: # /etc/fstab # Created by anaconda on Mon Oct 31 20:44:41 2011 # # Accessible filesystems, by reference, are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pblumenthal
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

fstab question

I have created a thumbdrive with a bootable version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it uses Grub legacy. One of the issues I have is that everytime I boot a new system from the thumbdrive, it writes entries for the partitions in the fstab. Consequently, when I boot another system, the OS reads the fstab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Using a variable in fstab

We have a load of servers which require cloning in VMWare, each of which have their own area on netapp for storage. I was trying to be a bit clever and use a variable within /etc/fstab so I dont need to edit it every time like so; netapp:/vol/vol_nfs_server/servers/`hostname | sed 's/\./ /g' |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FSTAB Problem

Hello, I transferred a machine from a tape back into a virtual machine. I created several paritions so I could xfter the date into them and made sda1 the active one. When I try and boot the VM it does not work. I used KNOPPIX to create the partitions and transfer the information from the tape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab question

Folks; Please be patient with this issue when you read it. I know it's a little tricky. I have a new share created on my SUSE 10 box. I'm trying to edit the /etc/fstab file or find a way to make this share needs no authentication. The reason for that is we're using an outside application to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

10. Linux

/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right? /dev/hdb2 /disk2a ext3 defaults 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question