# 1  
Old 04-28-2014
IBM Getting error when instrumenting a C program with Purify

When I use this command:
Code:
purify gcc -g hello_world.c

to instrument a C program with Purify, I get this error :
Code:
Purify engine:Error: The /usr/lib/syscalls.imp file either does not exist or has incorrect permissions.You may need to install bos.adt.syscalls

I understand that I need to install that package but I don't know how to do it, I look for it on the net and I found out that I have to use 'suma' (Service Updates Management Assistant)
Can any one help me to work with it ?
I'm on AIX 5.3
Thanks in advance Smilie
# 2  
Old 04-28-2014
Do...
Code:
ls -l /usr/lib/syscalls.imp

and...
Code:
lslpp -l bos.adt.syscalls

post results
This User Gave Thanks to blackrageous For This Post:
# 3  
Old 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteAlma
I look for it on the net and I found out that I have to use 'suma' (Service Updates Management Assistant)
You don't. SUMA will just help you download all the necessary dependencies, but you do not need it to install any software.

Quote:
I'm on AIX 5.3
This is going to be a problem because it is out of support for ~2 years now. If you do not have a software repository yourself it might be impossible to download base-level filesets. (I haven't tried any 5.3 fileset for quite a while, not sure if they are still downloadable.)

Have you considered updating to 6.1 or 7.1 ?

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:
# 4  
Old 04-29-2014
Hi blackrageous Smilie Thanks for your answer
Quote:
Do...
ls -l /usr/lib/syscalls.imp
lslpp -l bos.adt.syscalls
when I try the first command I got this message :
Code:
/usr/lib/syscalls.imp not found

the second one displays this result:
Code:
lslpp : Fileset bos.adt.syscalls not installed

any idea ?

---------- Post updated at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:37 AM ----------

Thank you bakunin Smilie
Quote:
You don't. SUMA will just help you download all the necessary dependencies
I didn't mention that I'm so new to this environement, I begin working on AIX last week Smilie
Quote:
Have you considered updating to 6.1 or 7.1 ?
Could you give me a link or something to help me to improve my level on it, and discovering how to update to 6.1 or 7.1 ? (the company I'm working for, use AIX 5.3 for years ago, updating to 6.1 or 7.1 will be a simple operation ? )

Last edited by SteAlma; 04-29-2014 at 06:26 AM..
# 5  
Old 04-29-2014
Quote:
I didn't mention that I'm so new to this environement, I begin working on AIX last week Smilie
OK, I'll explain more detailed what i mean.

Quote:
Code:
lslpp : Fileset bos.adt.syscalls not installed

This probably explains it. If you have a NIM-Server (i have written a short introduction to this, have a look at the pinned threads here) in your company you might find this package there. If you do and if your system is configured to be a NIM-client to this server you can do a "smitty nim" and select "Install Software" from the menu, then select this package and there you go. Basically NIM is a software repository (-server) in the AIX environment.

Quote:
Could you give me a link or something to help me to improve my level on it, and discovering how to update to 6.1 or 7.1 ? (the company I'm working for, use AIX 5.3 for years ago, updating to 6.1 or 7.1 will be a simple operation ? )
In principle: yes, updating is a simple operation. But being completely new to the environment perhaps any simple operation is complicated, so you should stay away from this or let someone experienced do it. You might have to take into account some software or hardware-quirks your environment has, etc., etc.. Nobody can tell you all the necessary things to watch out for over the net, so i do not even try. (Sorry, but as much as I'd like to help i can't press the experience of 25 years AIX into a few lines here.)

My advice is to get professional support and - no offense - let that do someone who is qualified.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
# 6  
Old 04-30-2014
Hi Bakunin and thanks a lot for all these informations Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
If you have a NIM-Server in your company you might find this package there.
Seeing that we don't have a NIM-Server, I looked for the fileset bos.adt.syscalls and I tried to install bos.adt.syscalls.5.3.0.40 via this command:
Code:
/usr/lib/instl/sm_inst installp_cmd -a -Q -d '/home/andre/packages' -f '_all_latest'  '-c'  '-g' '-X' '-G' '-V 2' '-Y'

but it didn't work, it gives this result :
Code:
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                    Pre-installation Verification...
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Verifying selections...done
Verifying requisites...done
Results...

FAILURES
--------
  Filesets listed in this section failed pre-installation verification
  and will not be installed.

Requisite Failures  
------------------
  SELECTED FILESETS:  The following is a list of filesets that you asked to
  install.  They cannot be installed until all of their requisite filesets
  are also installed.  See subsequent lists for details of requisites. 
  MISSING REQUISITES:  The following filesets are required by one or more
  of the selected filesets listed above.  They are not currently installed
  and could not be found on the installation media.

bos.adt.syscalls.5.3.0.0                      # Base Level Fileset

Is there any link where I can get: bos.adt.syscalls.5.3.0.0 ? because I already checked with FIX CENTRAL, It's having 5.3.0.10
Thanks in advance
# 7  
Old 04-30-2014
That is a common error: you need the base-level fileset to be able to install any updates. This makes sure that you can't do anything with the freely available updates if you do not have the (licensed) original disk(s).

It is quite simple: get a licensed version of AIX 5.3 (chances are it is floating around somewhere in your company, because it is part of the delivery when you purchase a system) and install the base-level fileset (5.3.0.0), then update it with whatever you download from FIX CENTRAL.

If you have purchased support for your system it might suffice to simply talk to your IBM representative. He might give you an AIX install CD just like that (that is the case in big IBM shops, i don't know how important a customer your company is).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 04-30-2014 at 03:32 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Error while instrumenting purify

when i instrument ourify i am getting error like .*** OI_init: Error, cannot connect to X server Purify or PureCoverage slave: Warning: Can't open display "localhost:0", using tty mode. . Got it] I am using AIX1.6 OS i have xwin32 installed in my windows.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

2. AIX

Purify : command not found

I just installed IBM PurifyPlus on IBM AIX 5.3 and they suggested me to run the command through the following one: % purify cc -g hello_world.c but it's giving me the message that : purify command not found I need your help Thanks In Advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteAlma
10 Replies

3. Programming

RHEL: Problem while using "purify gcc" for ESQL-C

Hi I am facing a problem while doing Purify Instrumentation of the Informix ESQL-C files. The system is RedHat Linux 5.6 and compiler is gcc. I have set both CC and INFORMIXC variables to "purify gcc" and compiled the source code. All the .c and .ec files were compiled successfully, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsinha
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rational® Purify® compatable SW

Hi Rational® Purify® is a dynamic software analysis tool - helps to clean your own C or C++ code from memory leak problems etc. Who knows some compatable (my be freeware) software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baruchgu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with program error

#!/bin/csh # # Time of day greeting # # usage: greet # if ($#argv == 0) then set hour = ‘date +%H’ else set hour = $argv endif # if ($hour < 12) then echo "Good Morning\!" else if ($hour < 18) then echo "Good Afternoon\!" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glock1800
2 Replies

6. AIX

Purify and AIX compiling problems.

Hi, i'm trying to work with a trial version of PurifyPlus 7 with fixpack 10 from Rational that needs to run over an AIX 5.3 platform, 64-bit. I had success on compiling and running the hello_world programs and even a hash test program i found over the net, but purify can achieve the same with the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrispav
0 Replies

7. AIX

Program Error

Hi, my IBM 9117-570 model (mounting SF230_126 firmware version) gives an errpt like the following. The problem is that no SRC code found at IBM information center web site. Some ideas where are those SRC searchable ? O.S. is AIX 5.2- tkx E18E984F 1119200506 P S SRC ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
0 Replies

8. Programming

probelm with purify

Hi, I am using purify to find memory leak in my process. When I run the instrumented program I get error I donot have this file in the specified directory. Instead I have following files in the directory /usr/lib/nls/loc/locales.2 What should I do in such case? I undersatnd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problem with build using Purify

Hi, I am facing problem while doing build on AIX using xlC compiler. We are using purify. Purify fails to instrument the a few libraries. Interestingly these are not developed by us and are 3rd party SW components. Can someone let me know how to proceed with the build? Here is the output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Purify-SGI Fatal Error

Hi , attempting to purify code on the link line generates a fatal error like this #ERROR: (fatal) Cannot find libtest.so in the search path . command line: ------------- purify -show-directory=yes -always-use-cache-dir -cache-dir=/ppic/users/avadhani/sgi/pure /usr/bin/CC -n32 -mips3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avadhani
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question