how to distinguish entry/exit of a syscall when using ptrace?

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to distinguish entry/exit of a syscall when using ptrace?
# 1  
Old 04-05-2010
how to distinguish entry/exit of a syscall when using ptrace?

Hi all,
I am using ptrace to keep track of clone syscalls in a program. However, I found that the traced syscall cant be paired. for example, there are some syscalls that have entry, but without exit showing up in the traced sequences. So, is there anyway to distinguish the entry and exit of a system call, when using ptrace? Any idea is appreciated, thanks

Tang
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

2. Programming

Download file with socket syscall

Hello to all I want download a file in osx intel 64 with NASM , I want to use socket syscall This is part of my code section .data command db "GET /test/2.gif HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: 10.1.1.187\r\n\r\n", 0 ; url db "http://172.16.207.153/test/2.gif", 0 global main... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: recher.jack
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process on CPU inside syscall

Hello Experts, If a Solaris process is calling some syscall, and right now execution is inside syscall doing only CPU work, for example the inside simplest times syscall, -> app_func => times << we are here now, we have entered in the times, but not exited yet <= times <- app_func... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
9 Replies

4. SCO

Distinguish between file systems

Hello, is there any command in SCO unix by which I can check if the file system is HTFS or DTFS? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mick
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is read() syscall really a primitive?

I saw somewhere that describe read() as a primitive. But when I lean signals, it says the read() may be interrupted by a signal. My Question: 1, What is the diffence between primitive and reentrant? 2, Is read() a primitive or reentrant? 3, Are all system calls primitive or reentrant? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

6. Programming

Fork syscall and related issues

Hi all, i just started started learning system programming and want to pursue a career in the sys prog area. below is the program that use a fork() call. i read in one of the tutorials that parent process and child process uses different address spaces and runs concurrently. that meas each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
2 Replies

7. Programming

what is the distinguish between gmake and make?

I am working on solaris 9. and use gmake to compile and linke c/c++ program. anybody can tell me the distinguish between gmake and make? :confused: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
10 Replies

8. HP-UX

how to distinguish different files while ftp?

how to distinguish different files and choose a mode while ftp?means which modes ascii or binary for zip(.gz) ,.txt,.sh,.dat and executable as well as movie files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

9. Programming

recv syscall for socket programming

I have a question regarding the recv syscall. Suppose I have a client/server and the following exchange of message took place: Client --> Server using multiple send syscalls one after another immediately: send "Packet1" send "Packet2" send "Packet3" Server receives in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heljy
2 Replies

10. AIX

distinguish the extension of a file

Hello, In a script shell, I have a variable containing the name of a file and I would like to distinguish the name from the extention of the file. For example, the file 'myfile.txt' is in a variable called $VAR. How can I obtain 2 variables, one with 'myfile' and the other with 'txt' ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbeghain
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
SYSCALL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYSCALL(2)

NAME
syscall - indirect system call SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* or _BSD_SOURCE or _SVID_SOURCE */ #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/syscall.h> /* For SYS_xxx definitions */ int syscall(int number, ...); DESCRIPTION
syscall() performs the system call whose assembly language interface has the specified number with the specified arguments. Symbolic con- stants for system calls can be found in the header file <sys/syscall.h>. RETURN VALUE
The return value is defined by the system call being invoked. In general, a 0 return value indicates success. A -1 return value indicates an error, and an error code is stored in errno. NOTES
syscall() first appeared in 4BSD. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/syscall.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { pid_t tid; tid = syscall(SYS_gettid); } SEE ALSO
_syscall(2), intro(2), syscalls(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-07-26 SYSCALL(2)