Identify process sending ldap requests to old DNS server

Operating Systems Solaris Identify process sending ldap requests to old DNS server
# 1  
Old 07-25-2014
Identify process sending ldap requests to old DNS server

Hi,

I have a Solaris 10 system, which appears to be sending out LDAP queries to a server that is due to be decomissioned.

Is there a way to identify which process is sending out these queries? The problem is that the local port constantly changes, and the connections do not stay open long enough to query them using netstat or lsof.

I can see the outbound traffic in snoop:

Code:
solServer -> decomServer LDAP C port=39959
solServer -> decomServer LDAP C port=39959

and also in netstat:

Code:
solServer.38530   decomServer.ldap 65420      0 49640      0 TIME_WAIT
solServer.38215   decomServer.ldap 65420      0 49640      0 TIME_WAIT

But cant think of a way to identify what process is sending this out. I've checked resolv.conf & /etc/nsswitch.conf and the decom server is not listed anywhere.

I have no idea where the information for this decomServer is coming from, or which process is sending. Is there a way I can find this out?

Many thanks
# 2  
Old 07-25-2014
Dtrace looks to be the right tool for investigating these connections.

Start with soconnect
# 3  
Old 07-25-2014
You might also get a clue from the BIND and SRCH entries in the LDAP log file.
# 4  
Old 07-28-2014
Thank you for the pointer. I've went down the dtrace path, and found a script that did exactly what i needed:

conntrack DTrace script: connections by process, user and port on Solaris/Opensolaris | Core Networks Techno Blog

produces real-time output like the following, where the last column is the destination:

Code:
      adclient 19607     0    global     45708        88  TCP 10.x.x.x
      adclient 19607     0    global     45707       389  TCP 10.x.x.x
      adclient 19607     0    global     45707       389  TCP 10.x.x.x

Thanks for your assistance, dtrace is something that I should learn how to use, it looks very handy!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

LDAP Client not connecting to LDAP server

I have very limited knowledge on LDAP configuration and have been trying fix one issue, but unsuccessful. The server, I am working on, is Solaris-10 zone. sudoers is configured on LDAP (its not on local server). I have access to login directly on server with root, but somehow sudo is not working... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
9 Replies

2. IP Networking

DNS requests through SSH/443

Anybody know how to force all DNS requests through port 443 or an SSH tunnel such as Putty in Ubuntu 10.4? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direction to create website to process grep and SED requests

hi I am seeking to create a cgi-bin type creation that will allow users browsing the site to be able to run searches that would be a grep command or SED in the backround. I am not sure how to go about this, if you would give me a pointer or direction about what technology i could inform myself... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdc01
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to Configure DNS bind 9 with Ldap back-end

My environmnet : solaris 10 u 7 sparc To configure DNS bind use Ldap as zone record database, I use bind 9.7.0 and sun directory 5.2 I do follow http://imil.net/docs/Configuring_DNS_zones_with_LDAP.txt and stuck at make install Error from bind log "database: error: unsupported database... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
0 Replies

6. Web Development

Sending two requests from one link

Hi everybody, Is it possible to have a URL link i.e. <a href=""></a>, which sends out two requests to a site? As an example, I want want to combine these two links. The first link loads files. The second link searches these files. But I want just one link, where went a user clicks on it,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

udp sockets of dns requests not showing anywhere...

Dear guys, I am facing the most weird problem I have ever encountered! Ok here is the situation: From my dns query.log file - it is generated using usual bind9 logging: logging { channel query.log { file "/var/log/bind9/query.log" versions 10 size 2m; severity debug 2;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angeloio
0 Replies

8. Solaris

/etc/nsswitch.conf hosts ldap dns

Hi all Is there any reason to have "hosts ldap dns" as line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? My understanding is that ldap does not contain any host information..(?) Best regards...Ludwig (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ludwig
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

DHCP, DNS and LDAP

I have just started learning Unix on Solaris and have been asked to learn DHCP, DNS and LDAP very quick in order to implement them and maintain. Does anyone know how to do this or a decent book that will include all the above three which tells you how to install and maintain. All i have found so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question