Solaris 11 no sound despite finding hardware

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 no sound despite finding hardware
# 1  
Old 03-29-2016
Oracle Solaris 11 no sound despite finding hardware

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to Solaris, less than a week to give an idea how green I am.Smilie Although new to UNIX, I've been running Linux (i.e. OpenSUSE, Ultimate Edition, Arch, and obviously Ubuntu) for many years, so, I decided to put Solaris 11 on my 12 core opteron. I had a bit of difficulty with video drivers and got them to work, however, I am completely dumbfounded when it comes to my sound NOT working.Smilie
Code:
$ ls /dev/sound gives the following:
0                2ctl             audiocmi:0dsp    audiohd:1ctl
0ctl             audiocmi:0       audiocmi:0mixer  audiohd:1dsp
2                audiocmi:0ctl    audiohd:1        audiohd:1mixer

That being said, I've tried different devices in the "Sound Preferences" section to no avail. I've also tried another sound card and got a similar output that the device and drivers were working. I've also made sure that the cables are hooked up properly just to be sure I've exausted all options. I also went into the Device Driver Utility and didn't see anything wrong there as well, in fact I got the following:

Code:
node name:                          pci13f6,111
Vendor:                             C-Media Electronics Inc
Device:                             CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio
Sub-Vendor:                         C-Media Electronics Inc
Sub-System:                         CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
binding name:                       pci13f6,111
devfs path:                         /pci@0,0/pci1002,4384@14,4/pci13f6,111@2
bus addr:                           2
pci path:                           1,2,0
compatible name:                    (pci13f6,111.13f6.111.10)(pci13f6,111.13f6.111)(pci13f6,111)(pci13f6,111.10)(pci13f6,111)(pciclass,040100)(pciclass,0401)
driver name:                        audiocmi
instance:                           0
driver state:                       Attached
fm-errcb-capable:                   TRUE
ddi-no-autodetach:                  1
assigned-addresses:                 81011010
reg:                                11000
compatible:                         pci13f6,111.13f6.111.10
model:                              Audio device
power-consumption:                  1
devsel-speed:                       1
interrupts:                         1
max-latency:                        18
min-grant:                          2
subsystem-vendor-id:                13f6
subsystem-id:                       111
unit-address:                       2
class-code:                         40100
revision-id:                        10
vendor-id:                          13f6
device-id:                          111

I'm terribly sorry that I couldn't justify the margins with the output, but, I figured it would be better than nothing.
All that being said, I would greatly appreciate if someone could/would help me out with this problem.
Thanks for your time and help.

-Pete

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 03-29-2016 at 04:42 PM..
# 2  
Old 04-02-2016
Actually, the last output is incorrect, I changed sound cards back to the original:
Code:
node name:                          pci1102,18
Vendor:                             Creative Labs
Device:                             [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG
Sub-Vendor:                         Creative Labs
Sub-System:                         SB1040
binding name:                       pciclass,0403
devfs path:                         /pci@0,0/pci1002,5a18@4/pci1102,7006@0/pci1102,18@0
bus addr:                           0
pci path:                           5,0,0
compatible name:                    (pci1102,9.1102.18.0)(pci1102,9.1102.18)(pci1102,18)(pci1102,9.0)(pci1102,9)(pciclass,040300)(pciclass,0403)
driver name:                        audiohd
instance:                           0
driver state:                       Attached
fm-errcb-capable:                   TRUE
fm-ereport-capable:                 TRUE
ddi-no-autodetach:                  1
audiohd_beep:                       1
sample-rate:                        bb80
sample-bits:                        10
assigned-addresses:                 82050010
reg:                                50000
compatible:                         pci1102,9.1102.18.0
model:                              Mixed Mode device
power-consumption:                  1
fast-back-to-back:                  TRUE
devsel-speed:                       1
interrupts:                         1
max-latency:                        14
min-grant:                          2
subsystem-vendor-id:                1102
subsystem-id:                       18
unit-address:                       0
class-code:                         40300
revision-id:                        0
vendor-id:                          1102
device-id:                          9

Still can't get the whole code thing to work properly.
I'm not sure if this new output helps or not, but, it seems like it's taking longer than usual for a response regarding this matter; I'm not sure if this is too difficult or rediculously easy that someone is hoping I'll figure this out for my own dignity. LOLSmilie

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-02-2016 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags, again.
# 3  
Old 04-02-2016
This is a little out of my area of expertise, but it always helps if you tell us what hardware you're using. (Solaris 11 runs on a wide variety of manufacturer's boxes.) You have told us that the CPU card contains a 12 core Opteron chipset but not who manufactured the box nor that manufacturer's model number for your box. You have shown us that you have tried sound cards made by C-Media Electronics, Inc. and by Creative Labs but not the model numbers from those cards. And, you haven't said whether you are using internal speakers in the box you're using or external speakers (and, if external speakers, how they are connected to your box.

Even though Solaris 11 is relatively new, there have been several releases. What output do you get from?:
Code:
uname -msrv

Are there any diagnostics printed concerning your audio card, drivers, or other software when you boot your system?
# 4  
Old 04-03-2016
Requested Info for sound card

Hi Don,

Thanks for a speedy response, I'm totally thrilled that I can do some constructive learning regarding Solaris 11 and get to the bottom of this.
You make some interesting points and posed some good questionsSmilieSmilie
My Motherboard is an Asus K8N-DRE with two 6 core Opterons.
The sound card is Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (PCIe) with a CA0110-IBG chipset. Or, do I need more specific information? Link is here: support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=16770&prodName=PCI+Express+X-Fi+Xtreme+Audio (Sorry, aparently I'm not allowed to hyperlink, YETSmilie)
The CMedia Part # is pm2ft8768x3c and the version is 2.0 and the manufacturers very own description can be had here. cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail/page-p/C1Serno-53/C2Serno-56/PSerno-33.html
$ cat /etc/release gives the following output:

Code:
Oracle Solaris 11.3 X86
  Copyright (c) 1983, 2015, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 06 October 2015

And
Code:
uname -a gives:
SunOS Huge-Balls 5.11 11.3 i86pc i386 i86pc

Pardon my Solaris client name, I never had any intention of anyone seeing that.

As far as speakers go, they are external amplified 2.1 logitech speakers that plug directly into the sound card. The manufacturers website regarding this product is here: logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z313
As far as the diagnostics, I'm not sure which log file you'd like me to look at.Smilie Could you tell me what and where I can pull it up and give it to you?

Thanks again Don for all your help and time. Smilie

-Pete

-

---------- Post updated at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:52 PM ----------

I keep getting messages to fix my "codes", I'm trying to and not having any luck, when I try to respond to private messages I'm told it's not possible until I reach a 10 post count. I can't list hyper-links until I reach a certain count either.
One of my private messages looked like it had a video tutorial, unfortunately, I'm missing that plugin. I'm not sure if there is another way to see a tutorial.
I'm definitely here to learn, being new to UNIX I'm frustrated and losing sleep and time throughout my day, so, a little latitude would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not some trouble maker, and once again, I'm here to learn, which means I MUST be taught, but, if I'm going to keep being admonished without proper teaching, I'll go somewhere else for help.Smilie
Thx and sorry for my shortcomings.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 04-03-2016 at 05:26 PM..
# 5  
Old 04-03-2016
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment The mail messages you got probably contained something like the following. If you can't access the tutorial from your e-mail, can you click on the link below in your browser?

To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums
# 6  
Old 04-03-2016
plugin needed to display content

Hi Don,

Thanks for your response, unfortunately, I keep getting a mesasage "A plugin is needed to display this content."

That being said, I'm going to practice on making code and such.

Code:
Test

I think I got it, YOUR quick explanation was better than any video tutorial.

Thanks again DonSmilie
# 7  
Old 04-04-2016
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, have you disabled the on board sound in the bios. I can remember reading an Oracle blog post about this fairly recently, I'm sure it involved some re-compilation of code. I'll have a look back through my browsing history and see if I can find the URL.

Regards

Gull04
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding the hardware model name remotely

First, forgive me if this is a stupid questions that I should have asked in the non-expert forum. It seems like a hard questions to me. Is there a way to find the hardware model name from the command line on UNIX machines in general? I want to find out what kind of machines are running at a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
5 Replies

2. Hardware

No sound device in Solaris 11 running in Parallels (MacBook Pro)

I'm new to Solaris. I was able to installed Solaris 11 running GNOME. I tried to detect sound/audio but the message given that "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found". There is no dev/audio but there are audio drivers such as gstreamer installed when I checked using Solaris... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abang Annuar
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sound not working on Solaris 10 running on Sun Virtual Box

Hello Friends, I have installed Solaris 10 on on Sun Virtual Box. I am able to browse internet on solaris 10 thru firefox, however I am not getting sound, there is cross on the tray icon of sound. Please help with this !! Regards, Sahil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahilsardana
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding hardware config - HP-UX

HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 model: HP RX7640/4 What commands can I issue to find out quantity/type of memory and CPUs? I know what I get from Glance but want to know if there are OS commands to get same or additional information. Thanks. Lisa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

solaris 9 hardware mulfunction

Hello, Im working on solaris 9 and I need to write script which monitoring several hardware componenets for any failures such as memory , Disks , power supply etc. I using prtdiag to extract this info. What should I check in the output for : Memory (Is the block of "Memory Module Groups"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

6. Solaris

regarding sun solaris hardware

hi :), i am new to this forum and i am in need of some help. one of my friend i having a Sun Ultra 2 UPA/Sbus (UltraSPARC-II 296Mhz) 640 MB ram. i am not sure if that configuration will be helpful to try out some sysadmin commands. this machine has a 21-inch monster monitor, which i think... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Hardware and ROHS

I'm trying to determine the End of Service Life for some of our Solaris servers, and I'm not sure if our servers are ROHS compliant. Is there a command to determine if the server is ROHS? If not, is there somewhere on the chasis where I can find this information? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migrating Solaris 9 to different hardware

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone can help. Does anyone know how to restore a Solaris 9 backup tape from server A to a completely different server B hardware. Both boxes are sun 64bit. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you Jan. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snerta
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Sound control in Solaris 2.9

Hi, Gurus ! I need to find out how I can control the sound in UNIX. I have got a pair of USB speakers which do not have any volume controls. Is there any tool in Solaris 2.9 to control the volume ? Thanks D :eek: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deicide5997
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding hardware settings

Is there a unix command to find out what type of graphics card you have installed and to see other hardware settings? Any help would be appreciated. I'm using Solaris 7. :D Thanks, NH (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question