Is there any global command in UNIX?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there any global command in UNIX?
# 1  
Old 12-23-2010
Question Is there any global command in UNIX?

Hi,

I heard about some global commands for information gathering in UNIX systems. some commands which will execute on a UNIX system in a local network and other systems will reply to these command with some information about themselves.

for example, from one of those UNIX machines (in a computer network) we run "bg" command and then we can see background processes from all UNIX machines on that network!

Is it true? and, if it is true so, Why I couldn't see those information now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 12-23-2010
As far as I know, there's no such command. And especially bg won't do that, since it's not even a system command, but a shell builtin that can't even see the background processes of other shells on the same system.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:
# 3  
Old 12-23-2010
Thank you very much for this super fast answer,

I used "bg" just as an example to describe my question.
So, are you saying that there is no "Information Gathering Command" in UNIX at all? (I don't know the exact name, I mean any command which could execute on other systems With Out authentication)

p.s:
We can execute many commands on a remote system using rsh/ssh but then we must authenticate ourselves as a privileged user! in my question (as I heard) I'm trying to find some commands which could be executed with out those authentication.
# 4  
Old 12-23-2010
If this were a quiz question I'd answer "finger".

Many Systems Administrator disable "fingerd" for this reason.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:
# 5  
Old 12-23-2010
No Smilie It's not my homework or anything like that. It's just for my own knowledge.

Thank you for this clue, I will take a look at commands like finger and I will come back if I couldn't find the answer.

p.s:
Any further information about this topic would be greatly appreciated Smilie
# 6  
Old 12-23-2010
In addition to methyl answer, there are also the similar rwho and ruptime programs both using the rwhod daemon.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:
# 7  
Old 12-23-2010
Thanks! It would be helpful.

Also, I found that there is an "on" command! which can 'Execute a command on a remote system, but with the local environment'. I think this will not prompt for any password! (But I'm not sure).

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Date and time change in global and non global zone

Hi, If I change date and time in global zone, then it will affect in non global zones. During this process what files will get affect in non global zones and which mechanism it's using to change. gloabl zone:Solaris 11.3 X86 TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Global and non-global zone resource sharing - tricky

hi all, Just a simple question but i cant get the answers in the book - In my globalzone , assuming i have 4 cpus (psrinfo -pv = 0-3), if i set dedicated-cpu (ncpus=2) for my local zone Is my globalzone left with 2 cpus or still 4 cpus ? Does localzone "resource reservation.e.g. cpu in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Global replace command help

Hello - I am trying to use a global replace command but its not working. Here is the cmd I am using in vi: :%s/OLD/NEW/g However, in my "NEW" I already have a "/" which is not making the replace work: :%s/mytestscript.com:33232/mytestscript:70245/test.com/g the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtualization of Global Namespace in UNIX

Hi all, I have a small Question here in Unix File System.I am unable to get a proper answer in Internet. Hope someone can get back to me soon. A Unix file system can mount filesystem of several disk partitions to form a single global space. Suppose that you wish to virtualize this global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi global replace command

I am wondering what way, I can remove a certain text with nothing. for example: MyVariable=Y7UHNI to only: Y7UHNI removing 'MyVariable=' globally? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DallasT
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set global rm command

Hi, My team does not have root access however many a times my members logon to the unix server and fire the rm command mistakenly on wrong folder and later realise that they have made a mess. The rm -i option prompts for a confirmation before actually deleting the files/folders. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

8. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix script to do a global change

I want to write a script to go into a unix directory and recursively change all the instances of a word in every file in every directory and sub directory. Here's where I am now: I can execute find . -print | xargs grep "my_word" to recuresively return all the files with my_word in it. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Go-Global for Unix V 2.2.4

hi can u help me? i need this software (Go-Global for Unix V 2.2.4) to work on Unix throught the Windows XP operating system, i had looke for this software in the internet and i didn't find it :( So, if any body have this software plz provide it for me and put it as a link to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahm2002
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question