NIS Useradd

Operating Systems Solaris NIS Useradd
# 1  
Old 11-11-2008
NIS Useradd

Hi Friends

I have added a new user 'test" in my NIS server and have rebuilt the passwd maps.
But i am unable to login as "test" from any of my clients.The "ypcat passwd" command is displaying the new user in the Client's machine.

I am quite new to NIS and want to know whether i am missing up something.

Please help.

Thanks
HG
efunds
# 2  
Old 11-11-2008
You are missing to:
- post your question in a single thread
- provide material that would help figuring out what is wrong in your case (configuration files, error messages)
# 3  
Old 11-11-2008
On the server, does "su - test" work with the user's password?
# 4  
Old 11-12-2008
Friends

I managed to find where i erred. There was a config prob in my /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Jilliagre,will remember to log the error messages next time for any posts.

Thanks for the responses.

HG
efunds
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

differences nis nis+

Hello together. Is there someone who is able to explain me the differences between NIS and NIS+. thanks in advance joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd

I work on some hp ux 11.00 Servers. i have to add an user. i use the useradd command like follows: useradd -u 72022 -g 71095 -c " comment " -d /PACKAGE_NAME/home/username -s /usr/bin/sh username The command returns with error 3. The manpage means value number 3: Invalid argument supplied to an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question