Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log information
# 1  
Old 05-03-2010

hello all,

so i'm working on a script, and part of it is to display the log info of the current logged on users,

1- full name
2- last log-in time
3- source ip address

i used who command to find the user ID then grep the full name and the last log in time.

but i can't find a command that would show the source ip for the current logged on users.

thanks alot
# 2  
Old 05-03-2010
The command "who" shows the ip as well, check the last column.

The who utility displays information about currently logged in users. By
default, this includes the login name, tty name, date and time of login
and remote hostname if not local.

Check
Code:
$ who -H

to get column headings displayed.
# 3  
Old 05-03-2010
oh, I'm currently running unix on my laptop, so when i run the who command i get,

user name tty1 date time (:0)

I'm assuming the (:0) would be the IP on a computer connected to a network?

** Edited **

i used the $ who -H command, and got COMMENT as the head for (:0)

i looked up the man pages, but it didn't mention anything about IP, is it possible that
this is a difference in Unix versions, or is the COMMENT column the IP address?

Last edited by ibzee33; 05-03-2010 at 05:52 PM..
# 4  
Old 05-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzee33
user name tty1 date time (:0)

I'm assuming the (:0) would be the IP on a computer connected to a network?
I'm not sure if it will be the IP or the hostname of the connected user.
# 5  
Old 05-03-2010
assuming i got the host name, is there a way to find the IP using it?
# 6  
Old 05-03-2010
Maybe
Code:
ping -c2 hostname | grep from | cut -d' ' -f4 | cut -d: -f1 | uniq

# 7  
Old 05-03-2010
thank you for the help

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting information out of a log file

Hello guys, I am trying to filter some information out of a log file (example shortcut) ===== fspCIV0 /vol/vol0 -sec=sys,rw=fspsanp42.net,root=fspsanp42.net,nosuid ===== fcvCIS01 /vol/ARDW -sec=sys,rw /vol/ARDW -sec=sys,rw /vol/ARDW -sec=sys,rw,nosuid /vol/ARDW -sec=sys,rw... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_scrub
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Log Realtime and Parse out Information for a Report

I'm not too fluent at this and having problems comprehending / coming up with a way to do it. Our telephone system is spitting out call information on it's maintenance (serial) port which i have connected to a linux box. I want to be able to monitor the output of this text and when a 911 call is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pythong
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feeding information in columns of LOG file

Dear all, I want to write a shell script to easy my job. Here is the description of task: I have several files (d1.log, d2.log, d3.log etc) with the common text as =======using photon counter ====== tot pho is = 29596 nomatch pho is = 1350 phoeta pho is = 1220... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract various information from a log file

Hye ShamRock If you can help me with this difficult task for me then it will save my day Logs : ================================================================================================================== ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract information from a log file (last days)

I'm still new to bash script , I have a log file and I want to extract the items within the last 5 days . and also within the last 10 hours the log file is like this : it has 14000 items started from march 2002 to january 2003 awk '{print $4}' < *.log |uniq -c|sort -g|tail -10 but... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: matarsak
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract information from Log file formatted

Good evening! Trying to make a shell script to parse log file and show only required information. log file has 44 fields and alot of lines, each columns separated by ":". log file is like: first_1:3:4:5:6:1:3:4:5:something:notinterested second_2:3:4:3:4:2 first_1:3:4:6:6:7:8 I am interested... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummie55
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing a verbose information to a log file

Hi All, In the script mentioned below uses a sftp command to login to the remote host and pull the files from the remote server. we want to log this inf to a log file . But it is not happening, the verbose information is just displayed on the screen but not to the log file when I run this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghuveer2008
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Hi to all, i want configure my solaris 10 machine to log all login,logout and "su" in a particularly file. How can i do it? Now i enable auth.* in syslog.conf but the informations are written in a confused mode... Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suuuper
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

caputring information from log

Hello all, I am pretty new and UNIX scripting. I am trying to write a script that will caputure some information from a log, without opening a log. Can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks, Keyur (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fossil0681
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question