Modify the Hostid in a Solaris 11 Global Zone running on VMWare

Operating Systems Solaris Modify the Hostid in a Solaris 11 Global Zone running on VMWare
# 1  
Old 04-20-2014
Modify the Hostid in a Solaris 11 Global Zone running on VMWare

Hi Folks,

I've been presented with an unexpected problem and I'm not sure if I can resolve it without some input from people.

I have on this site 3 license servers running Solaris, one at;

Code:
SunOS xxxxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

One at;

Code:
SunOS yyyyyy 5.7 Generic_106541-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

And one at;

Code:
SunOS zzzzzz 5.6 Generic_105181-21 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

As any of you will see they have been around a while, in reality these machines only run
Code:
lmgrd

and Netscape Server 4.0 - I can hear you all laughing now. But I'm going to continue, it is Easter Sunday after all.

My original thoughts were that I'd create a Solaris 10 or 11 virtual machine on VMWare and then run the three licence servers as zones, as I could have explicitly set the hostid within the zone. However my trusted leaders have expressly prohibited "virtuals within virtuals", I have done some prliminary testing and that seems to work OK - the setting the hostid bit.

These licenses were "Perpetual Licences", costing $100K per seat - however it would seem that the perpetual refered the life of the original company granting them not the user! So it is not possible to have the licence files regenerated for some of the applications hence the issue. Add to that that this cheapskate outfit doesn't have support with any of our vendors, some of you I'm sure will understand.

I have tried the instructions here but to no avail, although it does change the hostid - the hostid command sees an invalid id as it would appear that the code in the example only works for a hostid starting with zero.

So these are hopefully going to be moved to virtual machines like this, I think that I have all the x86 binaries required.

Code:
SunOS aaaaaa 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc

I've not really had a problem like this before, especially with the intransigent management refusing to take the advice offered.

Anyone have any ideas - other than find an other employerSmilie

MTIA Gull04
# 2  
Old 04-20-2014
I've read your post a few times but still don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve. You have 3 SPARCs but also mention x86 platforms???

You want to change the hostid on a Solaris base (global) zone on what?

If you're moving from SPARC to x86, do you have the 'lmgrd' x86 binary?

Last edited by hicksd8; 04-20-2014 at 12:49 PM..
# 3  
Old 04-20-2014
Did you try specifying hostid in the zonecfg prompt?
Code:
set hostid=<your host id>

# 4  
Old 04-21-2014
Hi Folks,

Sorry for any confusion on this one, just to clarify a bit here is some more information.

@hicksd8

The current systems are Sparc systems, they are being virtualised on an x86 platform. So yes I need to change the hostid in the Global to be what it was on the original server.

I do have the x86 binaries, however many of the licences require a specific hostid.

The original intention was to virtualise these systems in zones, which would work just fine - however as the global will be a virtual running under VMWare this approach has been expressly forbiden.

@bartus11,

That is the approach I had originally intended, just use the "set hostid=XXXXXXXX" in zonecfg. But I'm not being allowed to do that, as the use of "virtualisation within virtualisation" is out!

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 04-21-2014 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: Some additional information.
# 5  
Old 04-21-2014
Right, I understand the situation. I have had many a confrontation with lmgrd, etc.

I published the code for changing the hostid on Solaris 10 x86 on this forum sometime ago:

Change hostID of Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine installed by Virtual Box 4.1.12 on Windows-XP host

The problem is that (1) I have never tested this code on Solaris 11, and (2) I have never been able to get a licence file from SPARC platform to work on a x86 platform; I've always assumed that they must be cut differently.

Therefore no stock answer I'm afraid but perhaps some information to allow you to research further. It would help us if you determine answers to (1) or (2) above so please do post back your progress.

Last edited by hicksd8; 04-21-2014 at 03:46 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:
# 6  
Old 04-21-2014
Hi Folks,

Just a quick update - here is the code that I ended up with - it does work on Solaris 11.1 I have hard coded the hostid I wanted "80b6400d" into the script - I'll post the whole script when I complete it.

Code:
ascii=`echo $((0x80b6400d)) | od -t x1 | head -1 | cut -f2-100 -d" "`
echo "hw_serial/v "${ascii:0:$((${#ascii}-2))}"00 0" | mdb -kw
echo "hostid is now set to: "`hostid`;echo " "

Excellent pointer @hicksd8 - Thank you very much.Smilie

gull04

Last edited by hicksd8; 11-12-2017 at 01:28 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:
# 7  
Old 04-21-2014
@gull04............this is fantastic thanks.......Smilie
Quote:
here is the code that I ended up with - it does work on Solaris 11.1
I would normally check out the forum profile of the OP but being Easter I couldn't be bothered. I didn't realise you were a major community contributor!!!

It's great when we pro's answer novice's questions and learn from each other, but just giving a pointer to a pro and have him create really useful new knowledge (ie, it works on Solaris 11) is fantastic. Thanks again.

This is why this forum is just the best!

Last edited by hicksd8; 05-09-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 11 zone has no external network access (except to Global Zone)

Hi, hoping someone can help, its been a while since I used Solaris. After creating a NGZ (non global zone), the NGZ can access the GZ (Global Zone) and the GZ can access the NGZ (using ssh, zlogin) However, the NGZ cannot access any other netwqork devices, it can't even see the default router ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GazinLincoln
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 11 Global zone patching having Solaris 10 branded zone

I am planning to do solaris 11 global zone patching having solaris 10 branded zone. I have a doubts on step 8 specially Can someone clear my step 8 doubts or if anything wrong between step 1 to step 9 please correct that also as I have pretty good idea about Step 10 mean patching in solaris 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

3. Programming

I can't compile (gcc) in Solaris 11.3 non global zone

I can't compile anything, the final make error says "Command failed for target `install-recursive'", but I am not able to identify the root cause of that error, I tried with cc, gcc 4.5, also gcc 5.2, using make, using gmake 3.82, ld 5.11, gld 2.31... and I am totally stuck yet... please help, to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugar222
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 11 global zone timezone

Am new on Solaris If I compare with ESXi default timezone is UTC and we have to set BIOS timezone to UTC too . What we follow and best practice in Solaris Sparc servers . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris non-global zone network vlan

Have 2 nics on physical system net0 phys 1500 up -- net1 phys 1500 up -- 1. I want to create a link aggregation with LACP enabled with above 2 nics 2. Create port-group(Like we create on ESXi) with VLAN-ID 2141 3. And assign this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Not able to start non global zone on Solaris 11

I have configured three zones on Solaris-11. These are non-global zones contain Solaris-11 only. One of the zone is not booting up, complaining about IP address in use, while it is not. root@tdpdmsp02 # zoneadm list -icv ID NAME STATUS PATH BRAND IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 local zone on Solaris 11 global zone

Hi, A quick question: Can Solaris 10 local zones be moved to a Solaris 11 global zone and work well? Thank you in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Is there two different kernel`s running in global and non global zone?

Hi All, I want to know for non global zone there will be different kernal running? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Zone : Non global Zone check failed

Hi All , I try to install some packages in my global zone... On the execution of the installion of the script it quits by saying the error "Non global zone check failed" Kindly help me in this regard Thanks in advance, jeganr (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question