How to copy a file to a directory?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy a file to a directory?
# 1  
Old 10-14-2010
How to copy a file to a directory?

Hello all,

I've been researching this problem for days, and have gotten no luck . =/

How do you copy a file to another directory without being in the same directory as the file? So, for example, say I wanted to copy the file 'my.txt' that is in the directory ' /export/hom0/user/asdf ' to the directory ' /export/hom0/user/abcd '. without actually being in the directory ' /asdf '. I know this sounds a little confusing, but it has something to do with the 'cp' command.

Thanks for your help in advance.
# 2  
Old 10-15-2010
Go through these two links:
cp: Copy
cd: Change Directory

Compare, then you tell us how it should be done
Clue:
Quote:
actually being in the directory ' /asdf '
Unless Im unlucky I doubt that directory exist, why?
When you do a ls -al in a subdir you see usually the first three lines like:
Code:
total 264
drwxrwxr-x   3 root       bin           2048 Jun 22 12:47 .
dr-xr-x--x  14 root       bin           1024 Aug 26 10:51 ..

Does . , .. not mean anything to you?

Good luck
# 3  
Old 10-15-2010
Hi
Give the complete path while copying
instead of giving simply myfile.txt
give

cp myfile.txt /export/hom0/user/abcd/myfile.txt
# 4  
Old 10-15-2010
A file xxx.yyy is called an entry name, because it goes in an entry of a parent directory. It has a full or absolute path of: $PWD/xxx.yyy

A file zzz/xxx.yyy is called a relative path, because it has directories but is still relative to the current working dir $PWD that the process is sitting in: $PWD/zzz/xxx.yyy, which is a blessing or curse depending on what you need. It is great for portability between users or environments like developement, test, production on the same host.

Any file path starting in / is absolute or full. Using them means that what happens is not dependent on $PWD, which is again a blessing or curse depending on what you need. Only one file or device can have that path.
# 5  
Old 10-15-2010
I like you answer very much! You beat me here...
I tried hard not to give a straight solution not knowing if this (looks very much like) is homework but to help the person to search using some deduction... Your explanation on PWD is quite challenging for someone wanting effortless solution to be given...
# 6  
Old 10-15-2010
The solution is the carrot on the string that the mule rarely gets?

You can't have the conversation if they have no cultural referrant?

I stifled myself before getting to inodes, links, file systems, sym-links, device inodes, device and inode numbers, lost+found, swap, /tmp, mmap(). Smilie
# 7  
Old 10-18-2010
I am intrigued that nobody has posted a correct solution or a correct hint so far.

Hint: You are allowed to use the absolute path name to a file in a unix "cp" command in either the source filename or the destination filename ... or both.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - match file name and copy to Directory

I am trying to sort the following files from folder Bag to Apple, Cat Food, Dog Food. I can get all of the files I want into a new folder, but not sure of the best approch to get them to their final directory My Files ========== apple.1234.ext apple.1235.ext cat food 101.ext Cat Food... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtschroeder
2 Replies

3. Programming

how to copy file to a directory

Hello, I've been spending a lot of hours trying to imitate cp copying a file to a directory. cp I just can't seem to write to a specified directory, it only creates a copy on the current directory. any hints/tips will help! Thanks! here's the code i've been trying to manipulate: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file after searching in a directory

Hi, I am looking for an answer for following senario: I have a text file (base.txt) which consist list of files to be searched like: base.txt abc.txt def.txt fgh.txt Now i am going to search all the listed files in another directory after reading them one by one, once i found the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file to a directory

Hi Team, I wish to copy the latest file of pattern "MyFile*" to some other location. I need to do all the operation in a single command separated by |. ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1 | <copy command>. How can I do? Please help me. Thanks, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy a file to a directory ,where file and dir are sent as args to a function?

Hi all, I wanted to know how i can copy a file to a directory and then verify if that file is completely copied or not? Now the issues here is that the dir and the source file are to be sent as arguments to a function( this function should actually copy the files to a dir, then check if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it? Thanks In advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreethik
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file to a directory by sequence

Hi I am new in unix and look for help in urgent. I have a list of data files that located in a directory, and need to copy to another directory for loading. The condition here is, the list of data files has to be copy over by sequence, and if there is no file in targetted directory already. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fooky
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question