Using AIX HACMP and NFS together

Operating Systems AIX Using AIX HACMP and NFS together
# 1  
Old 09-03-2007
Using AIX HACMP and NFS together

Hi,

need advice on this.

Is it possible to assign a mountpoint from a SAN storage to server1 & server2.
Use NFS to the same mountpoint from server2 so that concurrent access is allowed.
Can this setup be used together with HACMP?
If server1 crash, the mountpoint resource will swing to server2, will it automatically remove the NFS and server2 take over the mountpoint resource and become active.

Simpler approach is to use PFSS?

Any ideas?

Regards
Solo
# 2  
Old 09-05-2007

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the following setup?

1) Server A and B both are assigned same VG from SAN storage.

2) Server A takes possession of resources /TEST and is active (HACMP)

3) Server B using NFS shares the /TEST from Server A.

Cluster WAS Application (active:active) in Server A & B concurrently writes to /TEST.

4) When Server A crashes or goes offline, HACMP auto swing resources /TEST over to Server B and becomes active.

Server B NFS connection to Server A is lost when Server A becomes offline but empty mountpoint remains. When HACMP swing resources over (same mountpoint name), will there be problems?

Thanks and best regards
# 3  
Old 09-17-2007
My answers right after your questions.

1) Server A and B both are assigned same VG from SAN storage.

ANS: This is possible but then only one of them can have exclusive access. I think you could use concurrent VG, not too sure if that works with HACMP, that forms another cluster.

2) Server A takes possession of resources /TEST and is active (HACMP)

ANS: I would keep the share on another server if you have one OR a NAS share.

3) Server B using NFS shares the /TEST from Server A.

ANS: That is possible. Don't put the entries in /etc/filesystems but manually mount it as part of a cluster start script

Cluster WAS Application (active:active) in Server A & B concurrently writes to /TEST.

4) When Server A crashes or goes offline, HACMP auto swing resources /TEST over to Server B and becomes active.

ANS: This /TEST filesystem must be in the /etc/filesystems and the cluster start script must export it as soon as it gets access to the VG and mounted it.

Server B NFS connection to Server A is lost when Server A becomes offline but empty mountpoint remains. When HACMP swing resources over (same mountpoint name), will there be problems?

ANS: That could be a problem. Why don't you mount the filesystem with a different name and then link it to a specific directory for WAS to write ?.
# 4  
Old 09-17-2007
Make the vg jfs2 enhanced concurrent and auto mount it on both.
Then they can both write to it what ever happens to the other system, HA or not.
# 5  
Old 09-19-2007
dukessd, Are you talking to automount over NFS ? If not, can you please explain the procedure ? or a document link so that I can update myself .

thanks, Kaps
# 6  
Old 09-19-2007
No. Forget NFS.
When you create the vg make it JFS2 enhanced concurrent.
Zone the SAN disks to both systems.
Search the IBM HA docs for JFS2 enhanced concurrent.
# 7  
Old 09-20-2007
I did read about this one. This is what I understood,

1. A normal concurrent VG does not support filesystems ( applications will need to manage their storage on raw LVs).

2. Enhanced concurrent mode supports filesystems and the VG to be varried on on a set of systems. BUT The HACMP and LVM work together to put a lock , so that only one system can perform write operations to a filesystem from this concurrent VG.

Correct me , or direct me to a better reading.

Regards,

Kaps
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX NFS Server and NFS Client

Hi 2 ALL, try to run NFS Server in AIX 7.1 : 1. Step by step on NFS Server node mkdir /tmp/test chgrp staff /tmp/test chmod 775 /tmp/test-- create export directory (fs) mknfsexp -d /tmp/test -t ro exportfs -va show mount -e :/# exportfs -av exports: 1831-187 re-exported /tmp/test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
4 Replies

2. AIX

How to check if HACMP is running on AIX node?

Hello AIX experts, I have few queries and appreciate if you could help me with them. 1. How to check if HACMP (or any other AIX OS cluster) is installed 2. How to check if HACMP (or any other AIX OS cluster) is running 3. how to check which Oracle DB instance is running on it 4. how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies

3. AIX

HACMP and NFS client

Hi all, I know there are topics regarding this but didn't found the answer. I have two node HACMP cluster and the application that runs there relies on some NFS mount. The NFS server is some 3rd box that have nothing to do with the cluster. How can I mount the NFS shares only on the active... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emoubi
5 Replies

4. AIX

Hacmp for aix 5.3

Hi where from i can get hacmp for studying pupose (trial ). I have AIX 5.3 TL 7 i googled. i didnt get any link. Please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
1 Replies

5. AIX

HACMP, NFS cross-mount problem. Can not move resource group

Hi, I'm new to HACMP. Currently I setup a cluster with nfs cross-mount follow this guide: kristijan.org NFS cross-mounts in PowerHA/HACMPMy cluster has two nodes: erp01 and erp02. I'm using nfs4 with filesystem for nfs is: /sapnfs Cluster start without problems. But I cannnot move RG (with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giobuon
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HACMP version for AIX 6.1

Hello. We are using AIX 5.3 with HACMP 5.4.1. At this moment AIX and clustering are using 2 servers. A third server is added. It does not seem to work with HACMP. Are there any controle checks? Thank you if you could help. Regards, Ynze van Aken Netherlands (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvanaken
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX HACMP Active/Passive Config

I have a HACMP 6.1 configured in a active/passive. I have 1 NIC with 3 IP address on (Boot, Persistent and Service ) . All address are routable. One of the application on the HA cluster is also using Boot Ip to send application data. Question : Since all the traffic is passing thru the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

8. AIX

NFS won't work till I start HACMP

Hi, My NFS does not work till I start HACMP. The NFS service is indeed started when server starts. But it is not in active state, when I use lssrc to check NFS services' status I find they are all in inoperative status. But after I start HACMP (smitty clstart), all NFS services become active... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
4 Replies

9. AIX

HACMP 5.4 with AIX 5300-10 not working

I have two IBM_9110-51A boxes OS - fresh installs 5764-G03 TL 5300-10-00 disks dated 5/2009 HACMP - fresh installs HACMP for AIX 5L Base V5.4 5765-F62 dated 7/2006 Bottom line for smit output attempting 2 node cluster config ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrKillPatient
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 6.1 and NFS problem after HACMP config

Hello folks, I am facing a problem with NFS after doing the HACMP configuration Issue : The showmount -e pr2serv at pr1serv ,it is only showing 1 mount exported /oracle , instead of showing all 7 as per /etc/exports file. issue : while mounting /oracle at pr1serv getting permission... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question