Help me name a fictional cat

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Help me name a fictional cat
# 1  
Old 09-14-2009
Help me name a fictional cat

Hi people

I'm writing a short story and there is a cat in it. The cat belongs to a hacker, so I need a name for it that would make a Unix/Linux person chuckle.

I don't know much at all about Unix or Linux, or indeed hacking, and was going to call the cat Torvalds, or Root. Both good names for a cat, I'm sure you'll agree, but a bit too obvious really.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a more subtle name for the cat that is hacking-related?

Thanks
Maria
PS I promise that no cats are going to be harmed in any way in this short story
# 2  
Old 09-14-2009
Midnight(BSD)
# 3  
Old 09-14-2009
# 4  
Old 09-14-2009
Cat5, Perl, Beastie, Tux, Puffy (if it's a feisty cat)
# 5  
Old 09-14-2009
cat5 is cool Smilie

so it also can be "switch", "hub" or "router"...
# 6  
Old 09-14-2009
Ooooh, I am liking all of these. Beastie might be winning due to particular relevance to the story *inserts ninja smiley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Cat5
As in the networking cable? It's all google is returning for me!

By all means, keep them coming Smilie
# 7  
Old 09-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzz_in_Leeds
[...]Beastie might be winning due to particular relevance to the story *inserts ninja smiley*[...]
That's why I suggested it

And Cat5 isn't my invention, it's courtesy of J.D. "Illiad" Frasier from his Web comic
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat with << >>

Hi, When I was analyzing the code I got below line. cat - << 'EOF' >> ${FILE PATH} I surfed net to understand but I couldn't get what is about. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for cat help

Hi there, I have the following problem. I have a csv file which looks like 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,EQUATION HEAVY,ANY,ANY,None,' 'AGI,ABJ,Y,Y,Y,None,VARIATION,ANY,ANY,None,' but I do this for ab in $(cat test.csv); do echo $ab; done in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command help

I want to concatenate 100 files to one file and append file name in each record to find out which file it came from for a in $(<shal_group) do cat $a >> bigoutput.group The above code put all files in one file but i want file name appended to each file Record should be like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat and export

I have a file named filelist. the content is a list of files including the path. $ cat filelist $curdir/test1 $curdir/test2 I want to cat each file in the list, such as cat $curdir/test1, cat $curdir/test2. (The $curdir has been exported). it can't open the test1/test2, it can't change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven_TTG
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat command

I believe I used the cat command to append a file beside another file (instead of below it) but I did not document it any where and I can't remember exactly how I did it. Has anyone else done this? I have tried all the cat options individually with no luck. It may be a combination of options. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat of rows

Hello, I'm starting from the scratch with Unix, and I was wondering if you could give me an answer for this problem... I've got a column with different names of files, something like: ./file1 ./file2 ... Now, I would like to show the content of each file. The column with the names comes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalius88
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question