Whois or nslookup.. for domain availability?

Special Forums IP Networking Whois or nslookup.. for domain availability?
# 1  
Old 10-29-2013
Signal domain availability, requent checking?

Hi, i want to make linux bash script which will periodically check for certain domain availability, i mean like every 100miliseconds.

I want to ask which command i need to use, so the result is not cached and i dont cause any inappropriate overload?

i see:
whois domainname.com (when No entries found., domain is available)
nslookup -type=ns domainname.com (when cant find nameservers, domain is expired or available)

So my questions what kind of command do you please suggest?

Does these whois providers have any limits above which they ban your IP?

Last edited by postcd; 10-29-2013 at 06:03 AM..
# 2  
Old 10-30-2013
Yes providers of public whois data usually set daily query limits per Ip4 address unless you have a contract with them. Usually less than 100 queries a day.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Whois Lookup

Hi. I've just made our internal Whois lookup service available for all forum users, not only moderators and admins. Whois Database It's basically the same whois info you can get from your command line and many other web sites. If you would like to see other features, please post in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to obtain info from whois?

Hello, do you know any clever way to get information whether certain domain name become avaialble for registration from bash script? Would be good to check for the availability like every 100miliseconds, i want to catch domain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I do whois -r with a input file?

Hello, I was wondering how I can do a whois from a file with lots of ip's in this format 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 And so on, then print the whois data from all the ip's to one single file sort of like this "whois -r 'ipfile' > 'whoisfile'" Thanks in advance! ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxfuser
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

whois country help

Hello folks, I have list of ips like 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.4 whois 1.1.1.1 |grep -E 'country|Country' it show country=US or whatever. so i have number of ips in text file, how i can use above script to automate output like 1.1.1.1 US 2.2.2.2 CA 3.3.3.3 FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to: Linux BOX in Windows Domain (w/out joining the domain)

Dear Expert, i have linux box that is running in the windows domain, BUT did not being a member of the domain. as I am not the System Administrator so I have no control on the server in the network, such as modify dns entry , add the linux box in AD and domain record and so on that relevant. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whois scripting

Hi guys, I need a script that given an IP address, say IPA, do the following: - queries "whois IPA" - extracts, from the whois answer, the IP network string indicated after the string "route:", - searches the IP network string in a given text file, say CIDR2ASN.txt, which has several lines,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stesecci
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

whois VS jwhois and timeout

I have a script that does a whois lookup that worked fine on a previous server. It used whois with the t option to timeout in 5 seconds. A while back I upgraded to a new server and the script had problems. I found out the new server didn't even have whois. The whois command was symlinked to jwhois... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PWSwebmaster
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Traceroute and Whois mystery

Hey folks, I've been charged with the job of finding out who's been screwing around with the download counts on our site. So now I have this huge list of IP's that I supposed to match to such and such developer. I was told by one guy that I should just do a traceroute and that'd tell me where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DumDum
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question