uniform and same result whois command line

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting uniform and same result whois command line
# 1  
Old 09-12-2011
uniform and same result whois command line

I am looking for a free whois lookup tool or some "scripting help" that will give uniform result for whois lookup from the linux command line.

Currently:
whois of a .co.nz domain results nameserver as follows.
Code:
ns_name_01: ns1.domain.co.nz

ns_name_02: ns2.domain.co.nz

While that of a .net domain result as follows
Code:
DNS Servers:
      ns1.domain.net
      ns2.domain.net

And that of .com results in
Code:
Domain servers in listed order:
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

I need a uniform result for the whois nameserver records.
Example: All in the following format:
Code:
Nameserver: ns1.domain.tld
Nameserver: ns2.domain.tld

Can anyone help?

I tried whois domain.com@whois.tucows.com, But after few lookups, it result in the error
Code:
Maximum Daily connection limit reached. Lookup refused.

---------- Post updated 09-12-11 at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous update was 09-11-11 at 08:28 PM ----------

Can anyone help?
# 2  
Old 09-12-2011
You can use "nslookup -qt=any some_domain" to get the domain level information for any domain.

However, going above the individual domain level just gets you the root name servers of that area of DNS, which are more bland. Also, it is common good practice to use your isp for root name servers, so you do not have to worry about them changing -- they do, and your name servers cache the answers. This can confuse the issue further.
# 3  
Old 09-12-2011
I get the following error:
Code:
# nslookup -qt=any domain.com
*** Invalid option: qt=any

# 4  
Old 09-12-2011
The man here says querytype=value

nslookup versions vary a lot! I recall using debug level 2 was interesting, as it shows the flow

Using KLOTH.NET (as I am behind firewalls):
Code:
 here is the nslookup result for unix.com from server localhost, querytype=ANY :

DNS server handling your query: localhost
DNS server's address:    127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
unix.com
    mail exchanger = 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.com. unix.com
    mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.com. unix.com
     origin = ns1.linode.com
     mail addr = webmaster.unix.com
     serial = 2011020734
     refresh = 7200
     retry = 3600
     expire = 604800
     minimum = 3600
 Name:    unix.com
 Address: 81.17.242.186 unix.com
    nameserver = ns1.linode.com. unix.com
    nameserver = ns2.linode.com. unix.com
    nameserver = ns3.linode.com. unix.com
    nameserver = ns4.linode.com. unix.com
    nameserver = ns5.linode.com.
  Authoritative answers can be found from:

Most of the goodies you want are in SOA:
Code:
... here is the nslookup result for unix.com from server localhost, querytype=SOA : 
 DNS server handling your query: localhost
 DNS server's address:    127.0.0.1#53
  Non-authoritative answer:
 unix.com
     origin = ns1.linode.com
     mail addr = webmaster.unix.com
     serial = 2011020734
     refresh = 7200
     retry = 3600
     expire = 604800
     minimum = 3600
  Authoritative answers can be found from: 
  [ Query 2 of max 100 ]
NSLOOKUP is a service to look up information in the DNS (Domain Name System [RFC1034, RFC1035, RFC1033]). The NSLOOKUP utility is a unix tool. If you want to learn more, here is the nslookup manual (man page).
Basically, DNS maps domain names to IP addresses.
Although this web online service can query a specific DNS server, in most cases it may be sufficient and convenient just to use the KLOTH.NET default nameserver "ns.kloth.net" or "localhost"/127.0.0.1.
To resolve an IP address by reverse lookup (get a computer's name if you only have its IP address), try to perform a PTR query instead of ANY. This reverse lookup will only work if the IP address owner has inserted a PTR record in the DNS. The PTR information is informal only and it may mostly be true, but sometimes not. If you don't get a PTR information about a specific computer from a NSLOOKUP query, you may want to try our whois service to find out the owner of this IP address.
Like the PTR, other records are also not mandatory: LOC, RP, TXT. They are not strictly required in the DNS and their content may be true or not.
You can't trust on the LOC to locate a host, because most hosts don't have this record defined. 

If you prefer dig over nslookup, you may try our dig service.

# 5  
Old 09-13-2011
The below gives the nameserver details from the zone file. I need the nameservers registered for a domain at the registrar. Should be able to get from command line. The value in the zone file can be anything.

Code:
nslookup -querytype=ns domain.com

# 6  
Old 09-13-2011
Change the query type from 'ns' to 'any' or 'soa' for domain information. You can direct your query to the parent domain name server, if you want to verify the authority of the response. Just add it to the right end of the nslookup command.

If you do not trust the tools, you can send your own udp packets, no recursion, and walk it down the tree.

Last edited by DGPickett; 09-13-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a multi-line shell command output and execute logic based on result

The following is a multi-line shell command example: $cargo build Compiling prawn v0.1.0 (/Users/ag/rust/prawn) error: failed to resolve: could not find `setup_panix` in `human_panic` --> src/main.rs:14:22 | 14 | human_panic::setup_panix!(); | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint: get one result per line

Hi, I'm trying to get some values from an xmlfile and want be able to process them. I'm using xmllint(v20901 on debian jessie) and this program directly outputs all results concatenated right after each other. I did not find a solution in the man page to get a different format or some output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output result with break line

Hello, I am coding a script to check mysql databases using bash script, I would like to check if the status of a table is not 'OK', will return the table name and do some more actions: check.log table1 OK table2 Some error here table3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu Rayane
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append result in the same line

I have a line like below a,blank,12,24 I want to add (12+24) at the end of the line or any where in the same line line output: a,blank,12,24,36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

9. Programming

Help: Run Java Command Line, Send Result to PHP?

EDIT: Sorry for the post, my good friend Google helped me out after some good searching! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tguillea
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any why to get the number of line in grep result ?

Hello all when I do simple grep on file im getting the results of "filename : stringResult " is there any way to present also the line number in the file ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question