Building an operating system for senior project?

Top Forums Programming Building an operating system for senior project?
# 1  
Old 08-11-2010
Java Building an operating system for senior project?

Hey guys! this is my first post on this site. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am going to be a senior this year and I want to build an operating system from scratch or at least do as much of as I can by myself. I want to build nothing big like ubuntu but something smaller looking that looks more like android or ios. I know I have to start off with a kernal and then from there do the rest but if you could help me out. Could you answer a few of my questions? and give me other tips that you think will be helpful? Thank you very much!

1. How do I start building the kernal? Is there a program i use to create it?

2. What programs will I need to create this operating system?

3. what languages will I need to learn? I looked this part up and found I will have to learn c+, C++ and maybe C#.

4. What programs will I need to create this whole project?

For people who don't know what a senior project is, it's a project that you create your senior year of high school or in college. You have to learn something then do something that relates to what you learned. I am a computer person and building a program seems something that anyone can do. I want more of a challenge. Thank you guys for all the help.
# 2  
Old 08-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonathan
With a design. I'd suggest reading something like Tanenbaums Modern Operating Systems.
Quote:
And editor, and a compilation toolchain.
Quote:
3. what languages will I need to learn? I looked this part up and found I will have to learn c+, C++ and maybe C#.
Maybe C, and definitely the assembler dialect spoken by the platform you're programming for. C++ is more for user space, and C# needs an underlying VM to run.

I'd suggest, aside from the Tanenbaum, that you take a look at the sources for (at least one of) the Linux kernel, Minix3 (which was written as a teaching OS), FreeBSD, or KolibriOS.
# 3  
Old 08-11-2010
Thank you very much. I have a design, where should i start off?
# 4  
Old 08-12-2010
One place you could start is the memory manager.
# 5  
Old 08-12-2010
Quote:
Thank you very much. I have a design, where should i start off?
Could you please share your design here ?
# 6  
Old 08-12-2010
Quote:
Hey guys! this is my first post on this site. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am going to be a senior this year and I want to build an operating system from scratch or at least do as much of as I can by myself. I want to build nothing big like ubuntu but something smaller looking that looks more like android or ios. I know I have to start off with a kernal and then from there do the rest but if you could help me out. Could you answer a few of my questions? and give me other tips that you think will be helpful? Thank you very much!

4. What programs will I need to create this whole project?

For people who don't know what a senior project is, it's a project that you create your senior year of high school or in college. You have to learn something then do something that relates to what you learned. I am a computer person and building a program seems something that anyone can do. I want more of a challenge. Thank you guys for all the help.
First of all Great initiative .Considering the vast amount of knowledge require to accomplish the project i recommend you to find a people with similar interest who are eager to participate in. Making your idea go Open source should do the trick unless you want to retain the privacy of your operating system.
# 7  
Old 08-12-2010
I would like to participate in this, if you would like to share you work. I have good hands on experience in C programming.

please let me know your wish.

Thanks
Kumaran
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Pick Operating System

Anyone know anything about "Advanced Plus Operating Environment". Preferably release 10 Revision 522Gcd probably dated 2003. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

5. Solaris

building solaris-based enterprise router-firewall project

hi guys, its been a while since my last visit here, could not keep up the pace on this ever changing industry :) i'd just doing my home research under vmware to make a solaris-based router-firewall using zones - doing a lot of reading about zones & review solaris zone functionality. and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdout
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building project using MAKE

Hi, I have a build script in perl to build projects in my team.It is using MakeMaker.I have a problem now.When I build a project and a tarball is created,I untar the tarball to get the files.Now the files have "rwx-r_x-r_x" permssions. While I want "rwx-rwx-rwx" for all files. i am not too sure... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinavsinha
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Fabric Operating System

Would any of your gentlemen have come across a decent reference for the FOS in your wanderings? Brocade just seems to want to sell me classes and FAN books :/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question