AIX memory usage by processes


Login or Register to Reply

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
# 8  
Corona666,
thanks for your answer.. yes i tried ps aux... it might have sense what you just wrote... if i get it clear, when a process grows up very much, then the swap memory will be used... when this process is done, the new processes of this program will keep launching on swap memory, because filesystem will be launched on real memory? why??
as i get it, a process will grow up that much to use first all real memory and will stop filesystem using real memory, right? if this process has bigger priority and keeps growing, then other processes will be moved at swap memory. So, when this very big process ends, then the processes on swap memory will get back at real memory, right? and if there is more free memory, it will be used by filesystem... am i correct?
eventhough, as i mentioned at the beginning, on 2 identical servers the first uses memory as 20% system, 30% processes and 50% filesystem and on second one 20% system, 75% processes and 5% filesystem, and 4% swap!

How can i identify on second server, the processes using 75%?
# 9  
Code:
ps -e -o pid= -o rss= -o vsz= -o args= | sort -k2,2n

lists the processes and their memory consumption, sorted by RSS, from least to most demanding.
# 10  
Thanks for your help too... but neither your solution helped... i think.. :P

I run your command. The sum of the second (sorted) column 4 times devided by 1024 is not the number I expected. I mean it is not equal to what nmon shows... (75%).
In addition, your command (actually ps) gets all processes (user and system) or only user processes...?
# 11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim
Thanks for your help too... but neither your solution helped... i think.. :P

I run your command. The sum of the second (sorted) column 4 times devided by 1024 is not the number I expected. I mean it is not equal to what nmon shows... (75%).
Can you post here what nmon shows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim
In addition, your command (actually ps) gets all processes (user and system) or only user processes...?
It'd typically show all processes running on your system.
Are you having a performance problem or just interested in finding processes that are consuming ~75% of system memory?
# 12  
Following to other commands it seems that there is no issue yet... but as i understand the performance, there might be an issue next days...

Server A
FileSystemCache
(numperm) 43.3%
Process 30.2%
System 23.1%
Free 3.4%

Server B
FileSystemCache
(numperm) 2.7%
Process 74.1%
System 22.7%
Free 0.5%
# 13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim
if i get it clear, when a process grows up very much, then the swap memory will be used... when this process is done, the new processes of this program will keep launching on swap memory, because filesystem will be launched on real memory? why??
No. At one point that big process forced some memory into swap, when it completed or died most of the swap came back out, except for that 2% which nobody's actually needed to use yet. That's my theory on where the 2% swap came from and why it's just sitting there.
Quote:
So, when this very big process ends, then the processes on swap memory will get back at real memory, right?
More or less.

Less as in, memory won't come out of swap until they try to use it. This prevents some waste since that memory would be unused anyway and I think accounts for your 2% swap.
Quote:
and if there is more free memory, it will be used by filesystem... am i correct?
That's normal unless configured otherwise, yes.
Quote:
eventhough, as i mentioned at the beginning, on 2 identical servers the first uses memory as 20% system, 30% processes and 50% filesystem and on second one 20% system, 75% processes and 5% filesystem, and 4% swap!
Something big is hanging around, which used to be even bigger, I think.
Quote:
How can i identify on second server, the processes using 75%?
Have you tried ps aux? Or as madeingermany suggested, ps -e -o pid= -o rss= -o vsz= -o args= | sort -k2,2n ? What does it look like?
# 14  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Have you tried ps aux? Or as madeingermany suggested, ps -e -o pid= -o rss= -o vsz= -o args= | sort -k2,2n ? What does it look like?
Great! As i read to your post, it seems that i get clear till now the performance of memory... that 's exactly how i think it works!

Now let's finalize with the process which use that much memory and push others to run in swap...

As i wrote in previous post, i ran the command as "madeingermany" proposed and the sum of the second column (sorted RSS) of every process, 4 times, devided by 1024, it gets almost 1GB... when my installed memory is 4GB! So, if by using this command i get only user processes (not system), based on nmon (75%), it should be 3GB! why is it 1GB?

What do i miss???? Smilie
Login or Register to Reply

|
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful
Identify All Processes memory and cpu usage.
ckwan
Hi All, Anyone has script to monitor AIX total processes memory and cpu usage that contribute to the total memory and CPU utilize so far ? The purpose of this is to analyze process memory trend. Thanks. Best Regards, ckwan... AIX
2
AIX
How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?
laknar
How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage?... AIX
3
AIX
Memory usage on AIX
aajmani
How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes?... AIX
1
AIX
estimating memory usage by database processes
hariza
Hi Guys, I wonder what would be the best way to determine how much memory is in use on any given time by the database processes. I thought about using ipcs -m command but I wonder if there any better way to determine this. Thanks. Harby.... AIX
2
AIX
Memory Usage in AIX
kollam68
Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem....... UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users
1
UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users