Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sendmail : 550 host unknown
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sendmail : 550 host unknown Post 9966 by Neo on Tuesday 6th of November 2001 04:28:22 AM
Old 11-06-2001
Interesting problem. Agree, your DNS resolver appears be just fine. Can you try this?

/usr/lib/sendmail -v unixdotcom@hushmail.com < /etc/services

(or some other file and/or valid email address of your choice)

Please post the output of the sendmail -v verbose command. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sendmail : connect local host (brocken)

hi there I've got a strange problem with a webserver box (suse linux 7.2). My MTA is sendmail, and when I tried manually send a mail. Sendmail -v "user@something" < /etc/hosts The Server tried "simon@localhost... Connecting to local..." but nothing happend and the system hold on. This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I ftp to an unknown host?

after ftp. ftp.umass.edu, I get "UNKNOWN HOST" There is no prompt for username. What do I do so that I can ftp files out? Or even email, to an unknown host. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AllyJones
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unknown host

Hello all I'm new to this site and I have to say that ,it is just awesome. I was able to get most of my questions answered by reading the archives. I've been a UNIX programmer for a while now but new to administration. I just installed SunOS 5.9 on my desktop ( i86pc) . Everything... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail error: 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS

I have sendmail setup to relay through my external ISP. Everything was working fine until I started getting the error message (below). I don't what I did to cause this? I have read a number of related posts and it appears that I might need to configure the sending address of my server to appear... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonmason
0 Replies

6. Linux

Sendmail takes too long to start and the host is unable to send emails

Hello All, Sendmail takes too long to start and the host is unable to send emails, below are the steps followed, Please let me know if I'm missing anything, is there a debug mode for mailx? # time service sendmail restart Shutting down sm-client: Shutting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Classic: sendmail[pid]: My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown

Hi all, I'd like to disable sendmail permanently on my "new" 220R with freshly installed SunOS 5.10 because it prints annoying messages to the system console. Also I'm interested in how to fix the actual problem with unqualified host name. My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown; sleeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

8. Solaris

SMTP Server 550 5.1.1 User unknown Error

Hello All, I am currently running a Solaris 10 machine as inbound SMTP server i.e. bringing Emails from outside into our company. In /var/spool/mqueue , I have mails that are pending for the past 4-5 days. They are not being delivered and are causing my mount point size to increase. Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Sendmail - relay Host unknown since adding dns

Hi ever since we´ve added the server in DNS, sendmail stopped working, but everything seems to be configured properly although in the mail logs we see: Jul 10 16:52:58 itc01 sendmail: t6AEqrHT005593: from=root, size=6, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201507101452.t6AEqrHT005593@itc01.headquarter.tmm>,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problems host name lookup failure sendmail

Hi I have a problem in sendmail Freebsd when sending emails to yahoo as an example, I get: Sep 5 10:05:43 local50 sm-mta: STARTTLS=client, error: connect failed=-1, SSL_error=1, errno=0, retry=-1 Sep 5 10:05:43 local50 sm-mta: STARTTLS=client: 43926:error:1407742E:SSL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickyarge92
3 Replies
etrn(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  etrn(1M)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-b] [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the processing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connec- tions to their service providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b System boot special case. Make sure localhost is accepting SMTP connections before initiating the SMTP session with server-host. This option is useful because it prevents race conditions between sendmail(1M) accepting connections and server-host attempting to deliver queued mail. This check is performed automatically if no client-hosts are specified. -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
No environment variables are used. However, at system start-up, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail reads /etc/default/sendmail. In this file, if the variable ETRN_HOSTS is set, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail parses this variable and invokes etrn appropriately. ETRN_HOSTS should be of the form: "s1:c1.1,c1.2 s2:c2.1 s3:c3.1,c3.2,c3.3" That is, white-space separated groups of server:client where client can be one or more comma-separated names. The :client part is optional. server is the name of the server to prod; a mail queue run is requested for each client name. This is comparable to running: /usr/lib/sendmail -qR client on the host server. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using etrn Inserting the line: ETRN_HOSTS="s1.domain.com:clnt.domain.com s2.domain.com:clnt.domain.com" in /etc/default/sendmail results in svc:/network/smtp:sendmail invoking etrn such that ETRN commands are sent to both s1.domain.com and s2.domain.com, with both having clnt.domain.com as the ETRN argument. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server.domain.com:client1.domain.com,client2.domain.com" results in two ETRN commands being sent to server.domain.com, one with the argument client1.domain.com, the other with the argument client2.domain.com. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server1.domain.com server2.domain.com" results in set of a ETRN commands being sent to both server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com; each set contains one ETRN command for each host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email, with that host name as the argument. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file /etc/default/sendmail Variables used by svc:/network/smtp:sendmail ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) RFC 1985 NOTES
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. SunOS 5.11 10 Aug 2004 etrn(1M)