Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending output to a file - Merged from duplicate thread Post 99649 by Bab00shka on Monday 20th of February 2006 10:56:50 AM
Old 02-20-2006
Try:

a=`cat date_file`

This will assign the file contents to a

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Duplicate postings when following up on a thread

My post count is probably inflated by something like 20% over the last few days, because the site often posts my reply twice when the load is high. Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is there something I should be doing to notify site administrators about the duplicates? I could click on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: era
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending field values in columns to output file

Hi, I am trying to send output from a shell scrip to a txt file in a colum format. I have all I can and I dont seem to understand why the results from one one particular file keeps going to the next line. How can I force all to be in one line Please see code and output below The is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending output of one command to several others?

I know how I can pipe any output to another command thats easy |. What i'm trying to do is send several addresses to the same command over and over again. Essentially what I want to do is do an nslookup on an address and then take the resulting IP(s) and send each of those IP's to another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending awk output to nothing?

How can I direct awk output to go nowhere? I can write the data to a file easy enough or print it on the screen. But for this particular command I don't actually want the data and I don't want to create a file. I just want the data discarded. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a select script through UNIX and sending output to file

Hi, (Oracle, AIX) I have googled this and searched this forum, however I haven't had much luck with an answer and have tried several different things. Basically I have a SQL select statement which generates a whole load of UPDATE statements, I want to run the select statement via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restricting the merged file size to 1 GB

I am working on a problem in which I need to merge 4 files (say f1,f2,f3 & f4 log files) & then prepare a final file. 1) If the final file created has size more than 1 GB then need to throw error (display error). 2) Need to check after every merge (say f1 + f2, f1 + f2 + f3) that whether... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending output to flatfile

Hi, I am writing one unix script to get row count of few tables into one sequential file my script is like this $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s <<EOF >output.txt userid/password@databasename set verify off set heading off set feedback off select count(*) count from tablel where ; select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spmsarada
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for getting the file merged

Hi, I have two files separated by bars at each line File 1 : A|4356|13456|23456 A|4356|2986|98732 A|8765|218|1432567 File 2: B|12|13456|1234567 B|11|13456|123456789 B|33|2986|98732 B|11|2986|14578965 B|8765|218|147584 Common field is third field like 13456, 2986 and 218 in both... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file

Like to have shell script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file with header of path+file name followed by file contents into a single output file. While reading and merging the file contents into a single file, Like to keep the format of the source file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
CAT(1)								   User Commands							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - concatenate files and print on the standard output SYNOPSIS
cat [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Concatenate FILE(s), or standard input, to standard output. -A, --show-all equivalent to -vET -b, --number-nonblank number nonempty output lines, overrides -n -e equivalent to -vE -E, --show-ends display $ at end of each line -n, --number number all output lines -s, --squeeze-blank suppress repeated empty output lines -t equivalent to -vT -T, --show-tabs display TAB characters as ^I -u (ignored) -v, --show-nonprinting use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and TAB --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. EXAMPLES
cat f - g Output f's contents, then standard input, then g's contents. cat Copy standard input to standard output. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report cat translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
tac(1) The full documentation for cat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cat invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 CAT(1)