Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to look for data in a file (not that simple) ... Post 99362 by gseyforth on Thursday 16th of February 2006 03:03:01 PM
Old 02-16-2006
I'll try it out and see what happens!

Thank you!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple file checking script

Hi, I have a really, what I hope is, simple question. I'm looking for a simple way to see whether a file exists or not and then perform an action based on whether it exists or not. An example of what I tried is as follows: if then { echo "File mysql exists" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Find file Script.....

Im trying to make a very simple find the first file with the .zip extension in a specific folder and open that file. The folder path and file name will vary every-time and it may contain spaces. If I try to look For this example the folder directory is /Users/username/Desktop/testfolder/abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to modify kickstart file

Hi, I would like to create a script so that it will ask me the following: 1) What is the ip address? 2) What is the gateway address? 3) What is the hostname? and then put the answer to the below kickstart file (kickstart.cfg) Here I included the kickstart.cfg: # Kickstart file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: beeloo
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a simple script file with multiple commands

I'm trying to run a script file with multiple commands that I would normally type into the command line. The commands are: #!/bin/bash diff Test1.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1.o0 > differences2 diff Test1a.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1a.o0 >> differences2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knelson
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple open remote file script

I use Rsync to copy files to a remote folder in a command like this rsync -aNPHAXxrvh --protect-args --fileflags --force-change --delete $file user@remotehost:/Volumes/backup That works great with passwordless key exchange ;) Now I'm trying to open a remote file using this command ssh -q... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple shell script to find and print data

Hi, I have a log file containing data on emails sent. Looks a bit like this for one email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Date: 12 Jun 2008 14:04:59 +0100 From: from@email.com Subject: xcf4564xzcv To: recip@email.co.uk Size = 364 Jun 12 14:04 smtp_234sldfh.tmp I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terry2009
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP simple script to find e-mail address on a file

Hello guys, im new to to unix/linux i have a text file like this: person1@test.com iisiiasasas person2@test.com 123w2 3233 sajsja person3@test.com jsajjsa sajsjasaj person4@test.com I want to extract only e-mail address and get rid of all other stuff, i want an output like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RazorMX
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies