Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity lost root password using (SAM) trusted security Post 99247 by mutyareyes on Wednesday 15th of February 2006 07:06:42 PM
Old 02-15-2006
Question

Hi! Thanks for you reply!

I am trying to do this, as suggested by alwayslearningunix:

mount -a to mount all filesystems. cd into the /tcb/files/auth/r directory, cp the root file, then edit it and delete the line beginning ":u_pwd". You can then change root passwd in the normal manner.

However, i cannot find the :u_pwd. No one tried to remedy our problem because our knowledge in unix is very limited.I believe the root account is locked because of too many incorrect logon attempts. I tried doin what is suggested below but i can't find "/usr/lbin/modprpw -k root.

Btw, we are using Digital Unix V4.0D. Please help me!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

8. SCO

unixware 7.1.4 lost root password

I dont have the cds, what can i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sopapa
2 Replies

9. SCO

Lost root Password - OpenServer 6

Hi All, It seems that someone in my organization had changed the root password on a SCO Openserver 6 box. Apparently, there are no emergency boot disks. I think they were never created because there is no floppy drive on the machine. I've tried to use the Openserver 6 media installations... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies
edauth(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 edauth(8)

NAME
edauth - update and list authentication and capabilities (authcap) database information (Enhanced Security) SYNOPSIS
/usr/tcb/bin/edauth [-d db] [-L|-N] [-q] [-v] entryname ... /usr/tcb/bin/edauth -g [-d db] [-L|-N] [-q] [-v] [entryname...] /usr/tcb/bin/edauth -s [-d db] [-L|-N] [-R] [-U uid] [-C] [-q] [-v] /usr/tcb/bin/edauth -r [-d db] [-L|-N] [-q] [-v] entryname... /usr/tcb/bin/edauth -H FLAGS
-d db Specifies which database to use. Select from one of the characters d, f, p, t, or v. d - The system default database, /etc/auth/system/default f - The file control database, /etc/auth/system/files p - User profile data in the /tcb/files/auth.db, /var/tcb/files/auth.db, and optional associated NIS map sources. t - The terminal control database, /etc/auth/system/ttys.db v - The terminal control database, /etc/auth/system/devassign The user profile database (p) is the default if no -d option is given. -g Gets the named entries (or all) and prints them to standard output rather than editing them. If the -q option is also given, the entries are not printed, and the exit status is the only confirmation of whether at least one entry would have been printed if -q had not been specified. -r Removes (deletes) named entries rather than editing them. -s Sets new values based on pre-edited entries read from standard input. If a new entry is being created, the corresponding passwd entry must be created first. If the -C option is not given, existing entries are overwritten by the new data. -v Gives more verbose messages. -C Restricts the -s option to creating new entries only, rather than possibly overwriting existing ones. -L Uses only local entries, not NIS. -N Uses only NIS entries, not local. -R Causes new local user-profile entries to be written to the root partition only, no matter what the UID of the profile. -U uid Specifies the minimum general user UID. User-profile entries with UIDs less than this value (default of 100) are written to the root partition in the /tcb/files/auth.db file. Profiles with uids greater than or equal to the specified value are written to the /var/tcb/files/auth.db file. -H Print a help message and exit successfully with no further processing. DESCRIPTION
The edauth utility displays and modifies the system databases used by the enhanced security subsets. These include the user profile data- bases and their NIS map source files, the file control database, the terminal control and device assignment databases, and the system default database. Note that edauth does not alter /etc/passwd. The edauth utility is intended for disaster-recovery situations, since the GUIs provide a much friendlier interface. However, for sites where X is not available, edauth can be used for general maintenance of these databases. If none of the -s, -g, or -r options are given, edauth extracts each matching entry into a temporary file, and allows the user to edit that entry. If the edited entry has more unparsed fields than did the old copy, a warning is given. If the -v option was given, the unparsed text is displayed. Editing and setting of entries in NIS maps is only allowed on the NIS master host, in which case the changes are made to the NIS map source files themselves, and a make of the NIS maps is then performed by edauth. The only option available to a non-root user is displaying the publicly-accessible databases or the user's own profile. EXAMPLES
To display just the wildcard entries from the ttys and devassign databases: # edauth -g -dt '*' '*:*' # edauth -g -dv '*' '*:*' To display the system defaults data: # edauth -g -dd For a non-root user to display his or her own profile: % edauth -g For a privileged user to display all user profiles: # edauth -g To display the user profile for root: # edauth -g root To edit the entry for user root: # edauth root To edit the ttys database entry for lat/628: # edauth -dt lat/628 To edit the NIS profile entry for user nobody: # edauth -N nobody To add a template of cis401 to a list of user names contained in a file named students: edauth -g `cat students` | sed 's/:chkent:/:u_template=cis401:chkent:/' | edauth -s ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables can be used by edauth: TERM Checked for being set only, in order to determine whether the $VISUAL environment variable should be consulted to find an editor to use. The $TERM variable is also likely to be used by the editor that is spawned. VISUAL Checked to find the editor to use when editing data, if the $TERM environment variable is set. EDITOR Checked to find the editor to use when editing data. If neither the $VISUAL nor the $EDITOR environment variable is available, edauth checks /usr/bin/ex and /sbin/ed for execute permissions and stops attempts to edit data if none can be found. Other environment variables which are likely to be used: NOPUSH This environment variable is checked by the /var/yp/Makefile file when updating the NIS maps in order to determine whether to force the NIS slave servers to update their maps immediately (and to wait for that update). RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: convuser(8), convauth(8), authck(8) Files: authcap(4), prpasswd(4), ttys(4), default(4), devassign(4), files(4) Security delim off edauth(8)