Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: growfs questions
Operating Systems Solaris growfs questions Post 98773 by RTM on Friday 10th of February 2006 08:49:25 PM
Old 02-10-2006
1. Why wouldn't it work (growfs)? Just make sure the space isn't already used (raw devices being used by a Oracle/Sybase/other product) - as long as the space isn't used by something else, you shouldn't have any issues otherwise.

2. No clue (that was helpful, wasn't it). I think it's the same amount of time it takes to newfs a new 72GB filesystem (again, really helpful info here)

3. Very doubtful you would lose anything - growfs automatically locks the filesystem so no writes can happen while it working. From the 4.2 docs:
Quote:
The growfs(1M) command will "write-lock" (see lockfs(1M)) a mounted file system when expanding. The length of time the file system is write-locked can be shortened by expanding the file system in stages. For instance, to expand a 1 Gbyte file system to 2 Gbytes, the file system can be grown in 16 Mbyte stages using the -s option to specify the total size of the new file system at each stage.

During the expansion, the file system is not available for write access because of write-lock. Write accesses are transparently suspended and are restarted when growfs(1M) unlocks the file system. Read accesses are not affected, though access times are not kept while the lock is in effect.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C questions

What does "extern" do? ex. extern int x; and another question, what about using static in functions? like: static void foo(), why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. Solaris

2 Questions

Hello Everbody I hope you can give me a hand, I have some questions The first one itīs about some message that I donīt know what means, I was looking about it. but nothing. This is the message rsh: connection from bad port bsd-gw: Error reading from connection: Bad file number And my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can any one help me out this questions.....

How do you locate all nonblank lines that don't begin with #, /* ,or // ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsar2587
3 Replies

4. Programming

two questions

hey all, I have question when am writing simple shell... in the child am calling execvp, i want the parent to know when execvp returns - 1. how can i let the parent know the result of execvp thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
9 Replies

5. Solaris

growfs failed

OS: Solaris 10 Issue: metastat shows 12GB /var, df shows 3 GB /var. Solution: growfs Error: # growfs -M /var /dev/md/rdsk/d6 /dev/md/rdsk/d6: Unable to find Media type. Proceeding with system determined parameters. failed to disable logging. I think the "unable to find Media type" is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
8 Replies

6. Solaris

GROWFS in solaris

Hi Gurus Im workin in solaris platform..Actually i just want to kno the procedure that is followed before growing a file system using growfs command.V are having SAP installed in our server and its in cluster..v logged into our storage and created volumes now v need to map the luns and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

More ps questions.

Hey all, Thanks for all the help you have given me. Two more things I am trying to figure out. I need to issue a command..example ps -ef | grep <process> This would return about 10-15 running processes. I need to verify that there are x amount of processes running. What is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies
GROWFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 GROWFS(8)

NAME
growfs -- grow size of an existing ufs file system SYNOPSIS
growfs [-Ny] [-s size] special DESCRIPTION
The growfs utility extends the newfs(8) program. Before starting growfs the disk must be labeled to a bigger size using bsdlabel(8). If you wish to grow a file system beyond the boundary of the slice it resides in, you must re-size the slice using fdisk(8) before running growfs. If you are using volumes you must enlarge them by using vinum(8). The growfs utility extends the size of the file system on the specified special file. Currently growfs can only enlarge unmounted file systems. Do not try enlarging a mounted file system, your system may panic and you will not be able to use the file system any longer. Most of the newfs(8) options cannot be changed by growfs. In fact, you can only increase the size of the file system. Use tunefs(8) for other changes. The following options are available: -N ``Test mode''. Causes the new file system parameters to be printed out without actually enlarging the file system. -y ``Expert mode''. Usually growfs will ask you if you took a backup of your data before and will do some tests whether special is cur- rently mounted or whether there are any active snapshots on the file system specified. This will be suppressed. So use this option with great care! -s size Determines the size of the file system after enlarging in sectors. This value defaults to the size of the raw partition specified in special (in other words, growfs will enlarge the file system to the size of the entire partition). EXAMPLES
growfs -s 4194304 /dev/vinum/testvol will enlarge /dev/vinum/testvol up to 2GB if there is enough space in /dev/vinum/testvol. SEE ALSO
bsdlabel(8), dumpfs(8), fdisk(8), ffsinfo(8), fsck(8), newfs(8), tunefs(8), vinum(8) HISTORY
The growfs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. AUTHORS
Christoph Herrmann <chm@FreeBSD.org> Thomas-Henning von Kamptz <tomsoft@FreeBSD.org> The GROWFS team <growfs@Tomsoft.COM> BUGS
The growfs utility works starting with FreeBSD 3.x. There may be cases on FreeBSD 3.x only, when growfs does not recognize properly whether or not the file system is mounted and exits with an error message. Then please use growfs -y if you are sure that the file system is not mounted. It is also recommended to always use fsck(8) after enlarging (just to be on the safe side). For enlarging beyond certain limits, it is essential to have some free blocks available in the first cylinder group. If that space is not available in the first cylinder group, a critical data structure has to be relocated into one of the new available cylinder groups. On FreeBSD 3.x this will cause problems with fsck(8) afterwards. So fsck(8) needs to be patched if you want to use growfs for FreeBSD 3.x. This patch is already integrated in FreeBSD starting with FreeBSD 4.4. To avoid an unexpected relocation of that structure it is possible to use ffsinfo -g 0 -l 4 on the first cylinder group to verify that nbfree in the CYLINDER SUMMARY (internal cs) of the CYLINDER GROUP cgr0 has enough blocks. As a rule of thumb for default file system parameters one block is needed for every 2 GB of total file system size. Normally growfs writes this critical structure to disk and reads it again later for doing more updates. This read operation will provide unexpected data when using -N. Therefore, this part cannot really be simulated and will be skipped in test mode. BSD
September 8, 2000 BSD