Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running Processing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running Processing Post 9809 by jacobsa on Saturday 3rd of November 2001 11:42:07 AM
Old 11-03-2001
Running Processing

Hello,

I have a question about running processes on my Sun. I want to know how I can find where these threads are being spawned from. I know about the /etc/init and /etc/rc#.d directories and how to stop some services from running. It does not seem as if all of the daemons that are started are here, for example sendmail, where in sol 8 tells the sendmail daemon to run and details the switches to execute when it starts... I am new to Solaris, did experiment with Linux, which I think is a little clearer.. Any help will be appreciated.

-AJ

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File processing

Hi, I have file having 10 coloumns in each row. I need to remove those line which does not have 10 coloumns, like if a row has more than 10 coloumns then remove that line similalry if the row has less than 10 coloumns then remove that line. File1.txt 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total Running Wild

Hi. A shell scripting newbie here. I am trying to write a script that will create a running total of Sales, and increment a counter for each Sales entry, but when I executed the program it never stopped. counter=0 Sales=0 echo "enter sales price" read sales while do let counter=counter+1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make parallel processing rather than serial processing ??

Hello everybody, I have a little problem with one of my program. I made a plugin for collectd (a stats collector for my servers) but I have a problem to make it run in parallel. My program gathers stats from logs, so it needs to run in background waiting for any new lines added in the log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
0 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why script is running sometimes and not running sometimes?

Hi, I have a script which does couple of database connection and run some SELECT queries to get some output in the file. I am surprised to see :eek: that when i run my script some times it gives the desired out put and sometimes it shows some error :confused: . Suppose if i execute it say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
3 Replies
started(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						started(7)

NAME
       started - event signalling that a job is running

SYNOPSIS
       started JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]...

DESCRIPTION
       The  started  event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job has finished starting and is now running.  The JOB
       environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty  for  sin-
       gle-instance jobs.

init(8)	emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other
       activity.  It is typically combined with the stopping(7) event by services declaring a dependency.

Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the started  event.   See
       init(5) for more details.

EXAMPLE
       A service that wishes to depend on another service might use:

start on started apache
	      stop on stopping apache

A task that must be run after another task or service has been started might use:

start on started postgresql

SEE ALSO
       starting(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5)

Upstart 							    2009-07-09								started(7)