Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automation of telnet and ftp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Automation of telnet and ftp Post 9786 by dabrock on Friday 2nd of November 2001 02:16:21 PM
Old 11-02-2001
Telnet isn't very secure

I would advise against telnet at all costs if it can be avoided. The username and password get transmitted in clear text. Try ssh2 or even ssh (but ssh and openssh have problems with security) if at all possible. One major advantage of ssh is that you can place your public key on the remote machines and gain auto login abilities.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent FTP script automation

Hi guys, Here is my requirement for ftp script that i have to automate in unix using shell script: 1) Find the files that atre created one week from the present day. 2) ftp them to the backup server. 3) At the end of the month make a new directory on my backup server with the new month(eg:Once... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koduri0475
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hi guys, Here is my requirement for ftp script that i have to automate in unix using shell script: 1) Find the files that atre created one week from the present day. 2) ftp them to the backup server. 3) At the end of the month make a new directory on my backup server with the new month(eg:Once... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

FTP Automation Windows <> Unix <> Remote

Hi All, I am a newbie to unix and scripting. I need to do the following job: 1. Create a batch file in windows that will call a script in a remote unix box. 2. The script now ftp files from the Remote windows machine and get them back to the local windows. Actually, I have written the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP automation Job scheduling

Hi, I am working in Unix and Teradata fastload. I need to automate file transfer through ftp from windows path to Unix directory at a specific time, then I should call fastload scripts execution. I have got the fastload script. Entire process should be automated without any manual intervention. It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SATYAPRIYA_D
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to track exit status of ftp automation

ftp automation code is ftp -v -n -i $host_name << EOF user $u_name $u_pass bi mput $tar_file bye EOF How to check whether the file is successfully transfered or not. Suppose the user name or password is provided wrongly then the code should track the error and ask the end user to enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP automation script

Hi, I have got a requirement like this. a parameterized function custFtp which will take 5 i/ps and will do the following tasks. p1) server name p2) username p3) password p4) path name of the server where the file resides p5) file name pattern the function will work like this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani_datta
1 Replies

8. AIX

Automation from Windows to Linux - Telnet and su using perl

Here is my requirement to automate the deployment procedure for my project. Telnet to AIX box (say SERVER1) from windows machine (with USER1) Select the server to login say "SERVER2" su as different user say "USER2"(Owner of the deployed files) Execute the script (Script has so many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nurainos
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP automation with special characters in userid

Hi, i am trying to automate an ftp script which is as below.But my user id has special characters(aaa\$ifg). So it is not working correctly.Can anyone help on this?I tried providing both of them in double & singe quoted. But somehow it is not picking the "\". Also tried keeping \ before the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroticman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT script for Telnet automation. Need your support.

Dear experts, please help me . I've found simple EXPECT scripts and all works fine. But I need more automation in error handling and sending list of commands/output logging from multiple remote hosts. I have 10 hosts, for example: host1 192.168.1.1 LOGIN1 PASSWORD1 ...... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: starchen
2 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)