Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I would like to know Would you run the ‘identd’ daemon on UNIX servers? Post 97841 by xoxouu on Thursday 2nd of February 2006 10:07:45 PM
Old 02-02-2006
I would like to know Would you run the ‘identd’ daemon on UNIX servers?

Would you run the ‘identd' daemon on UNIX servers? can you please Explain.

thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applicatoin cannot started, becos daemon did not run

hi, i had an applicatoin which is not running cos one of its daemon is not running.. i get the applicatoin to run by running the daemon first... its manual job... so quite cumbersome.. i have backups in the night, with the crontab -l entry with logs written. the logs indicated successful... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script as a daemon

I have simple shell script that I run as cron job every hour of the day. I would like to make it a daemon that runs far more frequently like every 30 seconds or so, but I have never made daemon before. How can I do this? -Sam (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sammy_T
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to run servers

I want to write a Kshell program which will start the servers(Oracle,DataIntegrator). Can anybody help me with this? I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pari111222
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to run across servers

Hi, I have to run several unix commands like lsof or sed and need to execute across different servers as part of my monitoring tasks. There are around 40 Unix Servers. It is really cumbersome to run those command on several servers. can some help me in this regard. Is it possible to run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a daemon to run in background

I am trying to create a service to always run and monitor a script that has a tendency to hang, we could not find what is causing it to hang so are in the process of completely reprogramming just about everything, however, that will take upto 6 months. So I need to create this to monitor the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

effects of bin file stored in nfs & run as daemon

Hi, Good Day, I had this question in my mind.Hope someone can give me his/her thought about it. Question: I had a binary files stored in the nfs system and mounted several workstation locally and running as deamon. Is there in effect to the networks or any problem me arise regarding network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

run this script as a daemon process

Hi, HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to run as a daemon

Hi, I have one query that is suppose if I have a script that pick up some files from source folder and put it into destination folder , and I want this script to run after every 1 hour, to make it configurable as per that I have options like crontab and nohup but when I test this script I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a bash or shell script run as daemon?

Say i have a simple example: root@server # cat /root/scripts/test.sh while sleep 5 do echo "how are u mate" >> /root/scripts/test.log done root@server # Instead of using rc.local to start or another script to check status, I would like make it as daemon, where i can do the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Installing identd on Solaris 11 (or how to enable it)

I'm trying to install an IRC server on a Solaris 11 box. However, identd isn't install by default and I can't see how I can install or enable it. I also can't seem to find any documentation on this. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g33rsdhgjy7
1 Replies
bprelay(8)						      System Manager's Manual							bprelay(8)

NAME
bprelay - BOOTP relay agent SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/bprelay [-f] [-d n] [-h hopcount] [-i interface,interface...] [-t minutes] [-w seconds] server... OPTIONS
Foreground mode. In this mode, bprelay does not run as a daemon. All messages are written to stdout and stderr, although warnings and errors are still sent to syslog(3). Without this option, bprelay listens on all interfaces on which the underlying protocol supports broadcasting. With this option, bprelay listens only to those interfaces specified. Any non-existent or invalid interface name are ignored. Sets debug level to the numeric value n. Larger values of n provides more debugging information. Instructs bprelay to not for- ward packets if the value of the hops field in the BOOTP packet exceeds hopcount. Instructs bprelay to terminate if minutes have passed without any packets being received. This option is only honored if bprelay was started from inetd(8). Instructs bprelay to not forward packets until the secs field in the BOOTP packet header exceeds this value. DESCRIPTION
The bprelay daemon forwards DHCP or BOOTP packets to the specified list of servers (server). Servers may be identified either by their IP addresses or by their names. The bprelay agent normally runs as a daemon process, and may be started either from the shell command line interface or by inetd(8). The purpose of bprelay is to provide the same service as that found in router hardware, but to run on UNIX workstations. The bprelay agent listens for DHCP/BOOTP packets on each of the interfaces specified in the command line, and relays each packet to the servers specified. As a rule, bprelay forwards each and every packet to every server specified, but it omits servers whose IP address is found to be on the same IP network as the receiving interface since those servers will presumably hear the original broadcast. RESTRICTIONS
Non-standard subnet masks for all networks administered by bprelay, must be available either through /etc/netmasks or NIS. SEE ALSO
Commands: inetd(8), joinc(8) System calls: syslog(3) RFC1497, RFC1542, RFC1534 bprelay(8)