Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root group permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers root group permissions Post 9702 by jacobsa on Thursday 1st of November 2001 11:35:22 AM
Old 11-01-2001
Thanks for your advice, Coming from the Windows world. So basically, to do any administrative duties, I should su to 'root'. what about the sysadmin group would that allow me to do some things? Thks..

-AJ

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

group permissions/webserver

Hi, there is one strange situation with directory permissions that I run into every now and then, and now I face it a gain with a webserver. Situation (example): drwxrwsr-x 14 user www-data 4096 Jul 28 11:06 . drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Jul 28 11:06 subdir -rwxr-xr-x 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doozer
3 Replies

2. AIX

bin group strange permissions

I was doing a little playing around with permissions on a 5.3 box in the office and wanted to make it so that it does not take root permission to delete a users home directory once they are deactivated or deleted in smit. the default permissions are 755 with bin as both user and group I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgaixsysadm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking Permissions of file for OTHERS and GROUP

Hi, Is their a way to check the read and execute permission on a file on OTHERS and GROUP rwxr--r-x I am trying something like: if ( || ) then .... fi The code above only checks the permissions of the owner of the file but not for the GROUP and OTHERS. I will really... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Changing root group to group from other

Does any one know if changing root's group from “other” to “root” will cause any problems on a running system. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjkroner
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Group permissions

Hi, I've created a user named fwadmin, group named fwadmin and made the user belong to that group. I created the user and group using the 'User Manager' in Centos. The user belongs to /etc/fw.Does this also mean that the group fwadmin belongs to /etc/fw. That is what I want. But when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Group Permissions - How to tell the difference

I am a member of a few different user groups. I would like to see what the difference is.... Can anyone tell me how to look at permissions side by side ? We are using : SunOS xxxxxx 5.10 Generic_127111-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 Thanks ! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automate setting of group permissions

What would be a practical way of making sure files I upload to/edit in a particular directory on a server always have the correct group permissions? I'm forgetful, so I try to automate things like chgrp'ing the files when I'm done. I could write a script to be run by cron. Is that the only way,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root group permissions

Hi everybody, which are the root group permissions and how can I give to a user these rights? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmayao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Group permissions question

I have a user who has had an id change. His old id was xl00 his new id b000999. Both id's are in group bauser. The user now cannot access his old files even though he is in the same group and permissions seem to be ok. See below, first 2 files he can't see, second two are no problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dw82199
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Group and user permissions on mediawiki

I am working on setup a wiki which should have users and group having read or write permission. Before that we were using simple write to all methodology. Now the challenge is this that i have created a 3 users and all of the 3 are able to write to wiki and update the page. Now what i what to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
0 Replies
CTLUSER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							CTLUSER(8)

NAME
ctluser - control lusers SYNOPSIS
ctluser [ -h ] [ -m ] command [ argument... ] DESCRIPTION
Ctluser sends a message to the control channel of a given luser(8) This command can only be run by the sysadmin(1) In the normal mode of behavior, the message is sent to the luser's brain, which then performs the requested action and sends back a reply with a text message and the exit code for ctluser. If the luser's brain successfully performed the command, ctluser will exit with a sta- tus of zero and print the reply on standard output. The ``-m'' flag is used to display an MPEG of the results of the given command on the console of the sysadmin(1) Note that this requires the sysadmin(1) to be running an X server. To see a command summary, use the ``-h'' flag. If a command is included when ctluser is invoked with the ``-h'' flag, then only the usage for that command will be given. The complete list of commands follows. Note that all commands have a fixed number of arguments. If a parameter can be an empty string, then it is necessary to specify it as two adjacent quotes, like "". addhist <entry> Add an entry to the luser's employment record. allow reason Allow a luser to use the computer system again. The reason must be the same text given with an earlier ``reject'' command. Note that this command is currently not implemented. begin name Begin a new luser(1) with the given file. Note that this command is currently not implemented. cancel pid Causes a process of a luser to be killed changegroup group Changes a luser from their current workgroup to the one specified. checkfile Forces a user to return to a paper based system drop Causes a large mass to drop onto the luser from a great height. flushlogs Destorys all logs of the actions done by the sysadmin(1) to the luser. go reason The luser is fired for the given reason. hangup Makes the luser hang themselves mode Displays the operating mode of the luser newgroup group Causes a luser to make their own newgroup up pause thought Makes the luser pause for the given thought. Note that this may cause some lusers to crash shutdown reason Makes the luser shutdown. This is essentially the same as killing them signal sig Sends the given signal to the luser throttle reason Causes the luser to throttle themselves trace item flag Gives the sysadmin(1) information on what the luser is doing. BUGS
Ctluser sometimes has the effect of lusers complaining the to management. The use of bosskill(8) maybe required at this point. HISTORY
Written by Simon Burr <simes@tcp.co.uk>. Based upon the manual page for ctlinnd(8), part of the InterNetNews system. SEE ALSO
luser(1), sysadmin(1), bosskill(8) 19 October 1995 CTLUSER(8)