Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX source?
Top Forums Programming UNIX source? Post 9669 by Neo on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 09:24:29 PM
Old 10-31-2001
The core of the Mac OS X kernel (Darwin) is also freely downloadable (the source). The value-proposition for Apple is the GUI and other non-OS icing on the OS.

Perderabo's reply about Sun's new policy also shows that Sun is shifting their value-proposition away from proprietary kernel source and looking to build future profits by adding value above the kernel.

There is little doubt in my mind that the movement to open-source for the core kernel code (open and extensible) and value added in the higher levels of the application stack is a path that will reap tremendous benefits to all network computing.

Please keep in mind that IBM is moving to Linux for many (if not most) of their classes of servers (and focusing on the value-proposition outside of the OS kernel).

HP (HP-UX) will need to follow soon (we hope!).

Here is an interesting article about IBM and Linux...... for those interested.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands source

does anyone knows where i can find the source code any Unix commands??? THx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rubis450
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

the source code of unix

tha ithela na moy peite an mporo apo kapoy na vro ton pigaio kvdika toy unix se glossa c .efxaristo. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matsoyka
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Source Code Of Unix

Do you have the source code of UNIX? If yes, can you please send it to me on my email email address deleted For your this help I shall be obliged to you. With Regards rajesh ***phone removed*** (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_ranjan26
1 Replies

4. Linux

how to get source code of Unix commands?

Can anyone tell me how/where to get the source code for the unix commands like "ls ,finger,cp....etc" commands . I have tried very hard but failed so far. Thanks JAGDISH MACHHI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Source code for Unix commands

hi Folks!! Just got a question in mind.... Is it possible for us to read the c code of the commands in the bin directory? I work on a LINUX server and i only see executables in the bin directory which i obviously can't read. Please help me regarding this. Thanks in advance and wishing you a very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdiwakarteja
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i get unix source code?

Sir please tell me where can i get source code for some unix kernal and shell also. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VIPUL15
1 Replies

7. Programming

Source Command in Unix

Hi all, I am having two files, the content of first file (out.bash) is #!/bin/bash cd /home/jessy/abc echo "hihi-part1" Second file content (out2.csh)is #!/usr/bin/csh source ./out.bash echo "hihi-part2" When I run in Ubuntu, i am typing bash out2.csh, the output display is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy83
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source trigger in Unix shell

Hi All, Is ther any way to write the script with source trigger ? To trigger the script on particular time we have crontab. Similarly in a path, when a file comes particular script has to run. Thanks:) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesu
7 Replies

9. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
KETCHUP(1)						      General Commands Manual							KETCHUP(1)

NAME
ketchup - Utility to update the kernel source SYNOPSIS
ketchup [options] <ver> DESCRIPTION
This tool synchronises a local kernel tree with a desired kernel version and patch set from a kernel.org mirror. The default requires a GPG key on your keyring, to verify the identity of the patches and source archives. Entire kernel images are not downloaded unless necessary, so bandwidth is saved. Patches are applied and removed as necessary to attain the requested version. OPTIONS
-a --archive (~/.ketchup) cache directory -d --directory (.) directory to update -f --full-tarball if unpacking a tarball, download the latest -g --gpg-path (/usr/bin/gpg) path for GnuPG -G --no-gpg disable GPG signature verification -k --kernel-url (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel) base url for kernel.org mirror -l --list-trees list supported trees -m --show-makefile output version in makefile <arg> -n --dry-run don't download or apply patches -o --only-dl don't apply patches -p --show-previous output version previous to <arg> -q --quiet reduce output -r --rename-directory rename updated directory to linux-<v> -s --show-latest output the latest version of <arg> -u --show-url output URL for <arg> -w --wget (/usr/bin/wget) command to use for wget CONFIGURATION
Ketchup will read files named .ketchuprc in $HOME and in the target kernel directory, with the kernel directory taking precedence. A .ketchuprc file uses the Python syntax and may set the following variables: default_tree The default_tree option specifies the kernel version to work with if one is not given on the command line. precommand The precommand option specifies a command to run before synchronising the kernel tree to the required version. postcommand The postcommand option specifies a command to run after synchronising the kernel tree to the required version. AUTHOR
ketchup was written by Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com>. This manual page was written by Baruch Even <baruch@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Description text taken from a former packaging attempt of Jack Wasey <debian@jackwasey.com>. February 16, 2010 KETCHUP(1)