Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort - Help Needed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sort - Help Needed Post 96528 by Andysundar on Friday 20th of January 2006 05:44:57 PM
Old 01-20-2006
Thanks for the reply, but its not working.

Still it gives the following output only.

> sort -k1.1,1.5 test.dat
asdasd
qwaxcA
qwaxcZa
zxzxc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed with sort. pipe and popen()

Suppose I want to find the number of uniq lines in a file. I use the following command: sort file1 | uniq -c | wc -l But if for some reason sort fails, the above command returns 0 as the answer. Why would sort fail ? sort makes use of directories /tmp or /var/tmp to store temporary files.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort file

I have a text file comprising of 3 columns 1. First column - numeric count/frequency of error codes 2. Second column - alphanumeric hyphenated error code 3. Third column - Error code description (alphanumeric) 184 ABCD-954 Errorcodedescription1 35645 DFMS-323 Errorcodedescription2 43534 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to sort multiple columns in one file

Hi, I would like to know given that I have 3 columns. Let say I have first 3 columns to do operation and these operation output is printed out each line by line using AWK and associative array.Currently in the output file, I do a sort by -r for the operation output. The problem comes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed.

Hello, suppose i have a student.dat file whose format is studentno studentname semester marks1 marks2 marks3 total then how can i sort first in semester wise and then total wise? I mean semester wise ranking wise record should be displayed. Semester should be displayed in ascending order... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Sort and uniq data

Hi All, After Sorting directories and files i have got following output as below, now i only want the strings common in them, so the actual output should be as below in the bottom. How do i do that? Thanks -adsi File to be modified:- Common Components for ----> AA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort data

Hello All, Today i have been asking lots of question, hope to become good in scripting soon with all the wonderful advices i get. The question is i want to sort data a get uniq string from it. The code i am using to generate the output is:- check_sun() { for i in $SUN_PLATFORM do $ECHO... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort command help needed

I have a file with three fields of data for example say we have 1420 $12.56 45 3456 $15.89 14 2341 $25.87 32 I need to use a command to show who is getting paid the highest amount to standard output. I am not sure if I should use a sort command or a copy and paste... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort - Server Side Sort (SSS) control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -phone" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); print "Results are sorted " if $resp and !$resp->result; DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::Sort" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP Server Side Sort (SSS) request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 as defined in RFC-2891 If the server supports sorting, then the response from a search operation will include a sort result control. This control is handled by Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
order A string which defines how entries may be sorted. It consists of multiple directives, spearated by whitespace. Each directive describes how to sort entries using a single attribute. If two entries have identical attributes, then the next directive in the list is used. Each directive specifies a sorting order as follows -attributeType:orderingRule The leading "-" is optional, and if present indicates that the sorting order should be reversed. "attributeType" is the attribute name to sort by. "orderingRule" is optional and indicates the rule to use for the sort and should be valid for the given "attributeType". Any one attributeType should only appear once in the sorting list. Examples "cn" sort by cn using the default ordering rule for the cn attribute "-cn" sort by cn using the reverse of the default ordering rule "age cn" sort by age first, then by cn using the default ordering rules "cn:1.2.3.4" sort by cn using the ordering rule defined as 1.2.3.4 METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-03-12 Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)