Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux and my cable modem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux and my cable modem Post 9632 by PxT on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 10:55:18 AM
Old 10-31-2001
A DSL/Cable router is not going to help if the lan card is not working properly. You should get your network card functioning first. Make sure your card is supported (check the list of 3com cards here: http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Net-...54.html#AEN956). 'lsmod' may not list your ethernet card if the driver is compiled into the kernel. Check out the 'dmesg' command or look at the boot messages in /var/log/messages (or wherever Caldera puts them). You need to find out if the card was detected at boot-time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

unix and the cable modem

If the cable modem that the cable company is using doesn't support unix is there a way around that . Are there drivers I can get online or is there a way to configure redhat lenix (that's what I will be using) to work with the cable modem. Or is there a way to buy a third party cable modem that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gparsons70
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't get my cable modem up

Caldera eDesktop 2.4 - Cable Modem my NIC card has been detected, but funny scenario: #dmesg eth0: RealTek rtl8139 Fast Ethernet at 0x2400, IRQ 0, 00:50:ba:43:a0:ef /*I noticed that it detected the correct module (rtl8139) but I'm using D-Link and not RealTek, which uses the same module.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorro
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is anyone using unix with cable modem

Is anyone using a cable modem with unix and if so does your cable co. support unix or did you get that going on your own and how. Thank you for all your help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gparsons70
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

DHCP Linux and cable modem

I can do all this in windows, but Im trying to run the SuSe 8.0 professional as a gateway. I have the local (private) LAN setup with no problems, but Im having troubles getting it to use DHCP to go out on the external card to the service provider, which only uses Dynamic IP's. WHere, what and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftn96
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cable modem to sparc

hi , i have sparc machine , i want to connect my le0 (ethernet interface) directly to cable modem , i have created a file resolv.conf,hosts, dhcp.le0,defaultrouter,nisswitch,hostname.le0. i dont know my cable companies <domain name> and <name server assigned to me> , also they even dont know how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Cable Modem on Irix Machine.

Ok I am new to this and wondering if there is any way of connecting a cable modem to an SGI that is running IRIX 6.5 and how to do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Acidjack
1 Replies

7. BSD

cable modem problem

hi I want to setup my cable modem under OpenBSD. I did not configure my network while installing the system. When I type, I get # ifconfig -a lo0 : .... ... ... rl0 : .... ... ... vr0 : ... ... ... I have two network cards (the machine will be a router). I created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Is the cable you are using a null modem cable or a modem cable

Hi all, Is there any difference between a null modem cable or a modem cable ? i assume that a null modem cable is a normal cable that i used from cpu serial ports to a modem for dialup. please correct if i am wrong, thks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waterbear
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Need help configuring Cable Modem on Solaris x86

I have a dual boot system with XP being the primary for now and Solaris 10 being the Secondary. I have a cable modem and wish to configure the same to be used with Solaris so that I can browse the Internet and such. I have connected my x86 machine with a Netgear Router and that in turn is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tubbyrana
7 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Cannot access UNIX.com with new cable modem

Hi. I have a very strange problem, so strange I don't even know which sub-forum to post it to. Last week, my cable modem broke, so I took it back and got a new one. The new one doesn't work with my old router so, for now, I have to connect the modem directly to my Mac with an ethernet... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
14 Replies
AVMCAPICTRL(8)						    Linux System Administration 					    AVMCAPICTRL(8)

NAME
avmcapictrl - Add, reset or remove active AVM cards and load firmware SYNOPSIS
avmcapictrl add <portbase> <irq> <type> avmcapictrl load <bootcode> [<contrnr> [<protocol> [P2P | <dn1>:<spid1> [<dn2>:<spid2>]]]] avmcapictrl reset [contrnr] avmcapictrl remove [contrnr] avmcapictrl trace [contrnr] [off|short|on|full|shortnodata|nodata] avmcapictrl addcard <driver> <portbase> <irq> [ <membase> [ <cardnr> ] ] DESCRIPTION
avmcapictrl is used to register active AVM ISA cards kernelcapi system and therewith to the isdn system. You need it also to upload the firmware to any active AVM card. If an error occure please also check the kernel error messages by using the command dmesg(8). COMMANDS
add <portbase> <irq> <type> is used to add a ISA card to the kernel-capi2.0 system. The portbase can have the values 0x150, 0x250, 0x300 and 0x340 for the B1 ISA cards, look at the jumper on the card. For a T1-ISA (HEMA) card you can select an wide range of ports. irq can be selected from the following values: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15. type can be B1 or T1. load <bootcode> [<contrnr> [<protocol> [P2P | <dn1>:<spid1> [<dn2>:<spid2>]]]] is used to load the firmware to a card bootcode is a t4-file. The actual versions of the t4-files for the different d-channel protocols can be found at ftp://ftp.avm.de/cardware/b1/linux/firmware. You need different t4-files for different d channel protocols: b1-1tr6.t4 for 1TR6, b1.t4 for DSS1 and b1-usa.t4 for 5ESS and NI1 (DSS1 is also supported). For M1/M2 PCMCIA cards you need m1-s10.t4 or m1-s4.t4 depending on the handy type used. contrnr is the number of the controller (card) starting from 1. protocol can be DSS1, CT1, VN3, AUSTEL, 5ESS or NI1. P2P point to point DN1:SPID1 DN2:SPID2 is for the american protocols 5ESS and NI1. reset [contrnr] is used to reset a card if loading has failed. This function only make sence if card is not successfully loaded. contrnr is the number of the controller (card) starting from 1. remove [contrnr] is used to remove a card previous added. You can also remove automatic added cards (for example a B1-PCI card). contrnr is the number of the controller (card) starting from 1. trace [contrnr] [off|short|on|full|shortnodata|nodata] is used to trace CAPI2.0 messages. The trace will be done as kernel messages, see dmesg(8). contrnr is the number of the controller (card) starting from 1. off switch traceing off short switch one line per CAPI2.0 message tracing on on | full switch on full decode tracing shortnodata switch on line per CAPI2.0 message tracing on, but exclude DATA_B3_IND and DATA_B3_REQ messages. on | full switch on full decode tracing, but exclude DATA_B3_IND and DATA_B3_REQ messages. addcard <driver> <portbase> <irq> [ <membase> [ <cardnr> ] ] is used to add a card, this is more generic than add. driver currently b1isa or t1isa portbase can have the values 0x150, 0x250, 0x300 and 0x340 for the b1isa driver, look at the jumper on the card. For t1isa driver you can select an wide range of ports. irq can be selected from the following values: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15. membase memory address if needed by driver cardnr only usefull with driver t1isa AUTHOR
Carsten Paeth <calle@calle.in-berlin.de> SEE ALSO
ttyI(4), isdnctrl(8), isdninfo(4). dmesg(8). syslogd(8). 4th Berkeley Distribution 2000/01/28 AVMCAPICTRL(8)