Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar to tape and back
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar to tape and back Post 9625 by pmetal on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 08:03:47 AM
Old 10-31-2001
Question tar to tape and back

Howdy,

I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8.

Need to get all files and directories under the following:

/opt/netscape/server4/docs
/opt/coldfusion

(some of the sub-directories are symbolic links, not sure if that matters)

Once I have that data on tape, how would I extract it to the second machine?

thanks

pmetal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic Tape Back-up under UNIX

Hi guys and gir.. emm hey guys! (only kidding girls) I have been asked to provide a tutorial on how to perform an automatic back up (to tape) for 23 sun sparc workstations networked using an ethernet setup under the UNIX operating system. Sounds easy enough to you... I've never ever seen... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maross
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

3. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar?

Can I back up all the files I work with each day using tar? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

8. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Bring tape paths back up in Redhat 5.4

Hi Folks, Looking for some assistance here on a Dell server connected to a Dell tape robot with Redhat 5.4 and Netbackup 6.5. Netbackup thinks the tapes are all present and working, but they are not - we lost the internal encryption keys earlier but think that they are reinstated as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back up log files using tar

Hi, I need some help writing a perl script to tar all log file to a directory and then delete the log files. Can some one please help me on this? I m Not very good with perl scripting... Thanks KK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikk0508
4 Replies
AMFLUSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							AMFLUSH(8)

NAME
amflush - flush Amanda backup files from holding disk to tape SYNOPSIS
amflush [ -f ] [ -D datestamp ]* config [ host [ disk ]* ]* DESCRIPTION
Amflush writes Amanda backups from the holding disks to tape, and updates the Amanda info database and tape list accordingly. Backups may stay in a holding disk when something is wrong with the tape at the time amdump is run. When this happens, the problem must be corrected and amflush run by hand. -D datestamp specify a datestamp expression you want to flush, see the "DATASTAMP EXPRESSION" section of amanda(8) for a description. -D 20001225-7 will flush all dump from 25 december 2000 to 27 december 2000. You can specify many host/disk expressions, only disks that match an expression will be flushed. All disk are flushed if no expression are given. see the "HOST & DISK EXPRESSION" section of amanda(8) for a description. Amflush will look in the holding disks specified by the amanda.conf file in /etc/amanda/config for any non-empty Amanda work directories. It then prompts you to select a directory or to process all of the directories. The work directories in the holding disks are named by the date at the time amdump was run, e.g. 19910215. Amflush normally detaches itself from the tty and runs as a background process. With the -f option, amflush stays in the foreground. This is useful if amflush is run as part of another script that, for example, advances the tape after the flush is completed. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. EXAMPLE
Amflush will search for holding areas associated with the PUCC configuration. After you select which holding area to flush, amflush writes the data to tape, updates the databases and sends a mail report similar to amdump(8). % amflush DailySet1 Scanning /amanda-hold... 20001113: found Amanda directory. 20001114: found Amanda directory. Multiple Amanda directories, please pick one by letter: A. 20001113 B. 20001114 Select directories to flush [A..B]: [ALL] all Flushing dumps in 20001113, 20001114, today: 20001117 to tape drive /dev/rmt/0mn. Expecting tape DMP014 or a new tape. (The last dumps were to tape DMP013) Are you sure you want to do this? yes Running in background, you can log off now. You'll get mail when amflush is finished. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8) AMFLUSH(8)