Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rlogin & telnet
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rlogin & telnet Post 9589 by kapilv on Tuesday 30th of October 2001 01:27:14 PM
Old 10-30-2001
Hi

It's possible to rlogin from one host to another host without a PASSWORD. (It's a bit confusing)
1) On the host you want to rlogin just create a ./rhosts file in the user's home directory to whom you want to rlogin and in that .rhosts file you specify the ip address or the hostname of the m/c from where you want to rlogin and the username from where you want to run rlogin.
for e.g user "me" on host A wants to rlogin to user "you" on host B without a password. Then user "you" on host B should create a .rhosts file in his/her home directory with the hostname and username entry i.e A me.

For more info refer the man rlogin or man rsh or man rcp or man rhosts

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh & rlogin

I'm trying to execute the next command: " rsh CompName date " which means i want to get the date from a machine which i have its CompName. but i get the answer : "Connection refused" what do i need to do ? how can i sign myself as user or guest in the other machine ? thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Inbal
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

telnet on AT&T MLS V

How do I enable telnet access to a system running AT&T MLS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet, rlogin, ssh login probblem

Hello Friends, I had an IRIX box won't let me login with any IDs (even root) Telnet, Rlogin, SSh. However, I can login by single user with root ID. Telnet login >>> Connection closed by forgeign host. Rlogin >>> Connection closed SSh login >>> connection to address ???.????.???.??? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anphdula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet & su in shell script

Hi, Any scripting experts out there that can point me to the right direction of writing a script using telnet and su to access a server without any users interaction such as login and entering passwd. Thanks. Thanks in advance vastare (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastare
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

rlogin, telnet connections timeout

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 5 desktop with Solaris 8. When I telnet/rlogin into any other host, the connection closes after few hours of inactivity. I also have another Windows box which I use rarely. But when I telnet/rlogin into the same hosts using putty, the connection stays for days without any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_gsb
5 Replies

7. IP Networking

rlogin,telnet-different or same?

Hai guys, Both "rlogin" and "telnet" are used to login remote host.Is there any differece between these 2 commands? (or) are both same? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for nested rlogin and telnet

I want to write a script that rlogins to a couple machines and then from the last machine, telnet into a final machine and execute a command. So in pseudocode it would look like: rlogin host1 from host1 rlogin host2 from host2 telnet host3 from host 3 execute command The reason for the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcburke38
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin and telnet

I want to make a script which will execute a command from a remote server like below rlogin server1 then telnet server2 (username, password will be given) now execute command (it may "ls -l *.txt") and give the output I've to do this manually but want to make it automatic Script may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat & telnet

cat & telnet hello, I need some help on using a file with the cat command. I want to set up a telnet connection with a network device with the ip-adress 10.3.0.1. Just executing the command 'telnet 10.3.0.1' gives a menu. For example, to show the help of the menu, you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michealvh
2 Replies
RXTELNET(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RXTELNET(1)

NAME
rxtelnet -- start a telnet and forward X-connections. SYNOPSIS
rxtelnet [-l username] [-k] [-t telnet_args] [-x xterm_args] [-K kx_args] [-w term_emulator] [-b telnet_program] [-n] [-v] host [port] DESCRIPTION
The rxtelnet program starts an xterm window with a telnet to host host. From this window you will also be able to run X clients that will be able to connect securely to your X server. If port is given, that port will be used instead of the default. If setting up the X forwarding failes, rxtelnet will still telnet in to the remote host, but without X forwarding. The supported options are: -l Log in on the remote host as user username. -k Disables keep-alives. -t Send telnet_args as arguments to telnet. -x Send xterm_args as arguments to xterm. -X Send kx_args as arguments to kx. -w Use term_emulator instead of xterm. -b Use telnet_program instead of telnet. -n Do not start any terminal emulator. -v Be verbose. EXAMPLE
To login from host foo (where your display is) to host bar, you might do the following. 1. On foo: rxtelnet bar 2. You will get a new window with a telnet to bar. In this window you will be able to start X clients. SEE ALSO
kx(1), rxterm(1), telnet(1), tenletxr(1), kxd(8) KTH_KRB March 7, 2004 KTH_KRB