Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command substitution problems with csh using grep Post 95726 by Just Ice on Saturday 14th of January 2006 12:51:22 AM
Old 01-14-2006
$PS1 is defined as the primary prompt for most shells I know of --- change your variable name and check again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problems

Hi falks, I need to substitute in my ksh program, parameter (full path of directory) ,which is sent from outside program, with another parameter (another full path of directory) ,which is known and validated inside my program. I tried to use "sed" ,but i failed. For example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

word substitution in csh

I have data that looks something like this: term1/term2/2005-12-01 13:20:30/term4 I need to make it look like this: term1/term2/20051201132030/term4 I am using a csh script. I have tried to do it by first converting the date/time to the format in which I want it, and then replacing it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oprestol
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK in CSH script problems

Hello Guys, I was trying to obtain the information from the /etc/passwd file, here was my script: 38 echo -n "What's your login name? " 39 set logname=$< 40 echo "Your login name is $logname, your user's ID is `grep $logname /etc/passwd|awk -F: '{print $3}'`" 41 echo " Your home dir is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpltp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array problems in CSH

Hi all, I want to use some commands and I wrap them into an array, like follows: set ALIAS_AR = ( "ls -ltr|wc -l" \ "ps -ef|grep -v grep |grep tty|wc -l" \ "who|wc -l" ) Then I use a while loop to call every step: set no = 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with grep command in scripting

Hi All, I was looking for grep command option which can exactly matches the word in a file, for examples you may be seeing one word that is also in another word, there might be lkk0lv23 and a lkk0lv234 in which case lkk0lv23 will put BOTH hosts from the grep in. I was using this in a bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with substitution between two variables

To all geeks, What I want to achieve: 1. Accept two filenames from user and store the filenames in two variables (FILE1 and FILE2) 2. Check if files exisits. If doesn't, then exit 3. If files exist, look for a particular string in both files 4. If the string exists, then change the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Tulsani
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh grep analog

Hi everyone, I'm trying to make a csh script analog for grep. I need to run through the directory which is arg, find a word (arg) in the files, and echo their names. Here's what I got if ($#argv != 2) then echo "Usage: $0 directory word" echo "Shows files which contains words" exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanguardua
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution after using grep

Hallo Team, I would like to edit my output(files) after using grep manipulation. this is how my code looks like: grep Originating *2013*|grep -v "ACCOUNT IN RECALC"|grep -v MOBIFIN-TRANSIT|grep -v ",Call Forward Not Reachable"|grep "Unclear scenario:On-net to Off-net PGW, On-net to Off-net... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script having variable substitution problems

Hi I am setting the variables like this : setenv MODULE1 modem5__3 setenv MODULE2 modem5__2 setenv MODULE3 modem_ctrl_1_1 setenv MODULE4 modem_1_0 setenv COUNT 10 I am having a bash script as shown below ################################################ #!/bin/bash for ((... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-D binddn] [-P path] [-s shell] [-l] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change the user login shell. A normal user may only change the login shell for their own account, the super user may change the login shell for any account. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. Enter none to remove the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. The only restrictions placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the super- user, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change their login shell. This version of chsh is able to change the shell of local, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts , if the permissions allow it. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd file is located below the specified directory path. chsh will use this files, not /etc/passwd. This is useful for exam- ple on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database automatic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -s, --shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -q, --quite Don't be verbose. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shells - list of valid login shells SEE ALSO
chfn(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils February 2004 chsh(1)