Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Possible return values for $? Post 94772 by reborg on Tuesday 3rd of January 2006 11:17:21 PM
Old 01-04-2006
That depends on the program you have run. Return codes are usually listed in the man pages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit/return values

Sys: HP-UX 9000 In the calling script how do I 'read' the return/exit value of a called script?:confused: THX in advance for any assistence.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vslewis
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: return values from awk

Hi. I have a script like this: nawk 'BEGIN {FS=","; TOT1=0; REJ1=0;} { if($7=="TOTAL") { TOT1=TOT1 +$8} if($7=="REJS") { REJ1=REJ1 +$8} }' FILE_123.dat and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

can quoted text return values

Hi All, index=10.5 let "res = $index + 1.7" echo "res = $res" Can anybody explain what this piece of code does. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can $? return multiple values?

Hi, I have a script which does something like the below: execute_some_script.sh $arg1 $arg2 `exec-some-cmd` if then; do something else do something else fi However, during some cases, there is an error saying: line xxx: [: too many arguments at the line number which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laloo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote ssh and return values..

hi I'm executing below 2 cmds which is working file.. ( cmd will ssh to remote host and look for pattern in remote file) ssh $USER@$HOST "grep -n \"$PATTERN\" $RDIR/$RFILE | awk -F":" '{print \$1}'|tr '\n' ':'|sed 's/:$//g'" > /tmp/_log_out VAR=`cat /tmp/_log_out` output in /tmp/_log_out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: id100
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture C program return values in Kshell

I have a K shell script (ksh) that needs to return an email address. A C program was written (prog1) to now access the email address off of an oracle table. The call to the program in the ksh is prog1 -p parm1 Based on Parm1 the program will read an oracle table and retrieve the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple Return Values

Hi, I need to retrun multiple values function errorFileCreation { echo "Before" return -1 "Siva"; echo "Aftyer" } echo ${?} - This can be used to getting first value. how can i get second one. Advance Thanks... Shiv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to return multilple values in perl

hello friends, i have written one perl script.Which opens a file and search for some parameter's value and gets the status of these parameters. but while i am trying to return these value always i am getting false. Can any one please help me.. here is that function: =======================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return multiple values using for loop in perl

I am using a for loop to copy files from say DIR1 and DIR2 to DIR3.I have to check whether files are copied from DIR1 and DIR2 and print the respective message. @path=("$DIR1","$DIR2"); foreach (@path) { $rc=system("cp $_/*xml $DIR3"); if ($rc == 0) { print "Files were copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies