Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script: Cut / (slash) character in string Post 943 by ThuongTranVN on Monday 29th of January 2001 09:49:52 AM
Old 01-29-2001
Re: \\

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I tried
Code:
:%s/\\$// don't replcae '\' character at the end of line
:%s/\\// replace only first '\' character of line
:%s/\\//g replace all '\' characters of line.

I need help.
Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut from a particular character to the end of the string

Hi All, I have a string like "9633C01302_2". I need to extract the number(02) after "13" and before "_" and the number coming after "13" and before "_" is not constant, it keeps on changing... Can some one plz help me wth the command.. i tried this echo "9633C01302_2" | cut -d'_' -f1 ..But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to append backward slash before forward slash

Hi all, I need to know way of inserting backward slash before forward slash. My problem is that i need to supply directory path as an argument while invoking cshell script. This argument is further used in script (i.e. sed is used to insert this path in some file). So i need to place \ in front... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove the last character(.) of a string

hi I have a list of words in a text file. these words are appended by "." at their end. They look something like this. word1. word2. word3. word4. word5. I need to remove the last character "." from all the words. The output must look something like this. word1 word2 word3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut out string in bash script

Hi all, I'm trying to extract string from variable in BASH. That's probably trivial for grep but I couldn't figure it out. I want to get name, there's sometimes digit after it, but it should be left out. STRING=http://name5.domain.com:8000/file.dat Could someone help me with that? Any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cootue
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout to file or character device with trailing slash

I have an interesting one for the gurus out there that may have an idea as to why this is happening. We're currently migrating from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 and we've run into a very strange issue. There are a bunch of shell scripts people have written throughout a directory that are used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Searching for length of words between slash character

Dear UNIX Community, I have a set of file paths like the one below: \\folder name \ folder1 \ folder2 \ folder3 \ folder4 \\folder name \ very long folder name \ even longer name I would like to find the length of the characters (including space) between the \'s. However, I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to cut string from a filename

Hi, I need a script which do below I have a filename: TEST2013_09_17_XX_XX_XX.csv Now script should create a new file with name: XX_XX_XX.csv Or I should say i need the output as XX_XX_XX.csv Please help. Mant thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inspecting leading char in string for slash

In a SCO Unix shop, I am working on the following script to move any file to its same location on the target machine (called 'othersy' here): pwd=`pwd` for i in "$@" do echo " $i " if ; then echo 1; else echo 0; fi rcp -p $i othersy:$pwd/$i echo "Finished with ^ If I find a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string until 3Rd occurance of forward slash(/)

I have a file abc.txt which has records like 456 /home/fgg/abdc.txt 3567 /home/fdss/vfgb.txt 23 /home/asd/dfght.txt I WANT TO REMOVE STRING UNTIL 3RD OCCURANCE OF FORWARD SLASH Output should be like abdc.txt vfgb.txt dfght.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshupant
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut string from shell

How can I cut the date and leave it in 3 variable? date="20181219" year=substr(date,1,4) monthsubstr(date,4,2) daysubstr(date,6,2) result year=2018 month=12 day=19 this does not work for me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)