Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup problems Post 9407 by ghoti on Friday 26th of October 2001 08:34:56 AM
Old 10-26-2001
Hi Neo,

tar did the trick alright, I had heard about dd, but could not use it as I was dealing with having to swap a 10Gb Dell laptop HD for a 20Gb one, and they could not be connected to the same machine.

for anyone interested, I started with a laptop with Linux/win2K dualboot.

I booted in Linux, and created 2 tar files, one of the windows partition, the other of the Linux partition. I then made a boot disk for the linux partition.

I used fdisk on a second machine to configure the partition table the same as on the first machine.

I then installed windows on a second machine onto the hard drive that I wanted to use for the first machine, and used a crossover cable to transfer teh 2 tar files to the new hard drive.

I then swapped hard drives, and booted from a Linux floppy, mounted the windows partition, formatted the Linux partition, and untarr'ed the Linux partition back to place.

Next I copied the windows.tar to the linux partition, did a rm -rf on the windows partition, and untarr'ed the windows files back.

I booted from the Windows disk, and repaired the windows install.

Final step, boot from the Linux floppy and run lilo to reset the boot options, and voila:
Both Os's moved to a new HD, but in the same machine, same configuration :-)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Problems

I am trying to take a backup of one server and put it on another server for programming and testing. When I take a tape with the complete backup and put it in the new server I am asked for tape 2 within 10 minutes or so. It took an hour to make the backup, and there was only 1 tape. I'm using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mike11
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

5. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync script and backup problems.

Hello everybody I'm triing since few days to do this. So sorry if my question looks stupide, but i've tried. I have to get picture from a folder (who is updated automaticly and with subfolder) with theirs extensions (i'm ok on that) and this files have to me copied in a folder where a website... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytruc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)