Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to find a notebook or desktop with.... Post 94027 by cymon on Monday 26th of December 2005 10:29:38 PM
Old 12-26-2005
You are aware that in the 'spirit of innovation', Microsoft has banned any OS other than Windows XP from being preloaded onto a computer.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Linux Notebook for $500

Balance 14.1" Notebook Computer with CD-ROM Drive (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notebook UNIX systems

Hy folks, I was wondering what is best unix system for notebook (laptop) computers. Older or newer, faster or slower? What is you opinion and experiance with unix on notebook?v (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: R@LE
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Which Notebook to buy

Hi Im not sure that i post that Thread here on the right place but i hope someone can help me. Im searching for a new Notebook with Linux or Unix as system. Im looking for a Notebook with the following components: Intel Core 2 for mobile min 2GB RAM 15 " Display none reflective ATI or NVidia... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MagicMike
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which linux for older notebook PC?

Hey forum, Although I've been involved with IT for decades, as an old person I'm just getting my feet wet with Linux. I have an older IBM ThinkPad - 128MB, 20GB drive - and I want to delve into Linux on this machine. What distribution would you reccomend for this older machine? It'll be used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrkrieger
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a distribution for old 128MB Notebook

Well, the title says most of it - I have an old IBM Thinkpad 600X with 128MB ram and want to use it mostly as a netbook - web browsing, lite text editing and the like. I've tried a few distributions, but they all seem to choke on my limited memory. Before I download and burn another bunch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkrieger
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

compaq presario v3000 Notebook PC not booting

Hi all, Laptop compaq presario v3000 is not booting! It just gives 3 beeps and there is no display. All the green LEDs are glowing! I have "performed a hard reset" as per HP site Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot Compaq Presario V3115AU... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
7 Replies
UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)				      General Commands Manual					UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)

NAME
update-desktop-database - Build cache database of MIME types handled by desktop files SYNOPSIS
update-desktop-database [-q|--quiet] [-v|--verbose] [DIRECTORY...] DESCRIPTION
The update-desktop-database program is a tool to build a cache database of the MIME types handled by desktop files. The cache database contains the list of MIME types that can be handled by desktop files, as well as, for each MIME type, a list of desktop files that can handle this MIME type. This cache database ease the work of applications that need to find an application that can open a document of a specific MIME type: those applications will not have to parse all the desktop files existing on the system, and can instead parse this cache database. If no DIRECTORY is specified as argument, the desktop files that will be processed are the ones installed in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications. If both the --quiet and --verbose options are used, then --verbose will be ignored. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -q, --quiet Do not display any information about processing and updating progress. -v, --verbose Display more information about processing and updating progress. NOTES
If an invalid MIME type is met, it will be ignored and the creation of the cache database will continue. The format of the cache database is a simple desktop entry format, with a MIME Cache group, containing one key per MIME type. The key name is the MIME type, and the key value is the list of desktop file that can handle this MIME type. The order of the desktop files found for a MIME type is not significant. Therefore, an external mechanism must be used to determine what is the preferred desktop file for a MIME type. EXAMPLE
Here is a simple example of a cache database: [MIME Cache] application/x-shellscript=gedit.desktop; text/plain=gedit.desktop;gvim.desktop; video/webm=totem.desktop; This cache database is created with three desktop files, each containing a MimeType key: gedit.desktop: MimeType=text/plain;application/x-shellscript; gvim.desktop: MimeType=text/plain; totem.desktop: MimeType=video/webm; FILES
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications/mimeinfo.cache This file is the cache database created by update-desktop-database. BUGS
If you find bugs in the update-desktop-database program, please report these on https://bugs.freedesktop.org. FREEDESKTOP.ORG UPDATE-DESKTOP-DATABASE(1)