Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: E-mail problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers E-mail problem Post 9380 by Neo on Friday 26th of October 2001 05:01:54 AM
Old 10-26-2001
No, you do not need port 110 "open" to send mail. If you are operating a POP3 server process normally listens on port 110. However, you do not need a POP3 server to send mail.

You do not need port 25 "open" to send mail. If you are receiving mail an SMTP server process normally listens on port 25. However, you do not need an SMTP listening process to send mail (only receive).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail

what I have to write in a shell that every time that it arrives a new e-mail has to perform a program taking some data from the e-mail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmistero
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail problem !!

Hi, Below a try to send an email to a local user can be seen. I can NOT send e-mail anywhere, but I receive email perfectly. <pre> isgsi01(root)10: mail aris < /home/aris/mail2send dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases: No such file or directory </pre> ..... but the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem (NOT Mail or Mail.app)

When I try to use the CLI mail, I get the following error. What's wrong? Welcome to Darwin! % mail root Subject: test test . EOT % /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory Do I just need to change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail.

Hello! I have two servers with Solaris 2.7 I send mail from first to second. The first is also dns. It's known as "ns.oldb.pkb", second is "dev.pkb". Ping works successful from 1 to 2 and vice verse. But when I am trying on first server : sendmail -v user@dev.pkb < /etc/motd it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colf
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

mail problem

i have mac os x 2.2 jaguar and Mail wont open any links? When i click on them it just does nothing. does anybody know why/how to fix it? please help me.. thanks, blip (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blip
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem

if ping $1 3 then { sleep 1 echo "HELO domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "MAIL FROM: mark@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "RCPT TO: markms@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "DATA" echo "This is a test from a file." echo "." echo "quit" } | telnet $1 25 else echo problem fi The above is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markms
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Mail !

I have a o/p file called a1.txt from a script. I m mailing this file but the problem is that in the mail the format is comming different. Contents of a1.txt ------------------------------------ Meter 090845086LG is now Made AMR Active Meter 090845088LG is now Made AMR Active Meter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail problem

hi folks , i am working in UNIX . i was wondered when i gone through below lines in some scripts. Can anyone describe me how this is working . thanks in advance.. /usr/sbin/sendmail -t < $0.email /usr/bin/mailx -s "$EDI_HOST: Report....@ `date`" GROUP_ALERT <<EOF `cat $0.email`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP UX mail problem

I am uxing HP UX mailx, I want to send mail with: 1) to list 2) cc list 3) sender address 4) mail body 5) subject 6) attachment I am using : (cat cc_list; cat mail_body; ux2dos file_1 | uuencode attachment.txt)|mailx -m -s "subject" -r sender@abc.com recepient@abc.com cc_list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamadak
2 Replies
SOAP::Transport::POP3(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  SOAP::Transport::POP3(3)

NAME
SOAP::Transport::POP3 - Server side POP3 support for SOAP::Lite SYNOPSIS
use SOAP::Transport::POP3; my $server = SOAP::Transport::POP3::Server -> new('pop://pop.mail.server') # if you want to have all in one place # -> new('pop://user:password@pop.mail.server') # or, if you have server that supports MD5 protected passwords # -> new('pop://user:password;AUTH=+APOP@pop.mail.server') # specify list of objects-by-reference here -> objects_by_reference(qw(My::PersistentIterator My::SessionIterator My::Chat)) # specify path to My/Examples.pm here -> dispatch_to('/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules', 'Module::Name', 'Module::method') ; # you don't need to use next line if you specified your password in new() $server->login('user' => 'password') or die "Can't authenticate to POP3 server "; # handle will return number of processed mails # you can organize loop if you want do { $server->handle } while sleep 10; # you may also call $server->quit explicitly to purge deleted messages DESCRIPTION
COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Paul Kulchenko. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Paul Kulchenko (paulclinger@yahoo.com) perl v5.12.1 2010-03-17 SOAP::Transport::POP3(3)