Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: E-mail problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers E-mail problem Post 9378 by guest100 on Friday 26th of October 2001 04:52:10 AM
Old 10-26-2001
E-mail problem

Is it true that you need port 110(POP3) to be open for sending email out ??
I can send email out fine but when I check my port 110 is not open. The problem I have is that I can not receive email at all or can not send email locally (between my users).

Here is what I get using the netstat command :

<pre>

% netstat -a |grep 25
*.1225 Idle
isgsi01.32925 isgsi01.32917 32768 0 32768 0 ESTABLISHED
isgsi01.32917 isgsi01.32925 32768 0 32768 0 ESTABLISHED

% netstat -a |grep 110
isgsi01.1521 10.153.6.198.1108 16210 0 8760 0 ESTABLISHED

% netstat -a |grep mail
%
I get nothing here.

</pre>

It seems like I get nothing relevant here about ports 25 and 110. I still can send email out to the outside world, any ideas at all please guys?

Also trying the 'newaliases' command I get :

<pre>

% newaliases
WARNING: World writable directory /var
WARNING: World writable directory /etc
dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases: No such file or directory
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases

</pre>

Anyone played around with sendmail before?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail

what I have to write in a shell that every time that it arrives a new e-mail has to perform a program taking some data from the e-mail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmistero
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mail problem !!

Hi, Below a try to send an email to a local user can be seen. I can NOT send e-mail anywhere, but I receive email perfectly. <pre> isgsi01(root)10: mail aris < /home/aris/mail2send dbm map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases: No such file or directory </pre> ..... but the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem (NOT Mail or Mail.app)

When I try to use the CLI mail, I get the following error. What's wrong? Welcome to Darwin! % mail root Subject: test test . EOT % /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory Do I just need to change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with mail.

Hello! I have two servers with Solaris 2.7 I send mail from first to second. The first is also dns. It's known as "ns.oldb.pkb", second is "dev.pkb". Ping works successful from 1 to 2 and vice verse. But when I am trying on first server : sendmail -v user@dev.pkb < /etc/motd it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colf
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

mail problem

i have mac os x 2.2 jaguar and Mail wont open any links? When i click on them it just does nothing. does anybody know why/how to fix it? please help me.. thanks, blip (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blip
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem

if ping $1 3 then { sleep 1 echo "HELO domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "MAIL FROM: mark@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "RCPT TO: markms@domain.co.uk" sleep 1 echo "DATA" echo "This is a test from a file." echo "." echo "quit" } | telnet $1 25 else echo problem fi The above is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markms
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Mail !

I have a o/p file called a1.txt from a script. I m mailing this file but the problem is that in the mail the format is comming different. Contents of a1.txt ------------------------------------ Meter 090845086LG is now Made AMR Active Meter 090845088LG is now Made AMR Active Meter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail problem

hi folks , i am working in UNIX . i was wondered when i gone through below lines in some scripts. Can anyone describe me how this is working . thanks in advance.. /usr/sbin/sendmail -t < $0.email /usr/bin/mailx -s "$EDI_HOST: Report....@ `date`" GROUP_ALERT <<EOF `cat $0.email`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP UX mail problem

I am uxing HP UX mailx, I want to send mail with: 1) to list 2) cc list 3) sender address 4) mail body 5) subject 6) attachment I am using : (cat cc_list; cat mail_body; ux2dos file_1 | uuencode attachment.txt)|mailx -m -s "subject" -r sender@abc.com recepient@abc.com cc_list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautamadak
2 Replies
CALIBRE-SMTP(1) 						      calibre							   CALIBRE-SMTP(1)

NAME
calibre-smtp - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
calibre-smtp [options] [from to text] DESCRIPTION
Send mail using the SMTP protocol. calibre-smtp has two modes of operation. In the compose mode you specify from to and text and these are used to build and send an email message. In the filter mode, calibre-smtp reads a complete email message from STDIN and sends it. text is the body of the email message. If text is not specified, a complete email message is read from STDIN. from is the email address of the sender and to is the email address of the recipient. When a complete email is read from STDIN, from and to are only used in the SMTP negotiation, the message headers are not modified. Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-smtp that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -l, --localhost Host name of localhost. Used when connecting to SMTP server. -o, --outbox Path to maildir folder to store failed email messages in. -f, --fork Fork and deliver message in background. If you use this option, you should also use --outbox to handle delivery failures. -t, --timeout Timeout for connection -v, --verbose Be more verbose COMPOSE MAIL Options to compose an email. Ignored if text is not specified -a, --attachment File to attach to the email -s, --subject Subject of the email SMTP RELAY Options to use an SMTP relay server to send mail. calibre will try to send the email directly unless --relay is specified. -r, --relay An SMTP relay server to use to send mail. --port Port to connect to on relay server. Default is to use 465 if encryption method is SSL and 25 otherwise. -u, --username Username for relay -p, --password Password for relay -e, --encryption-method Encryption method to use when connecting to relay. Choices are TLS, SSL and NONE. Default is TLS. WARNING: Choosing NONE is highly insecure SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> calibre-smtp (calibre 0.8.51) January 2013 CALIBRE-SMTP(1)