Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix/Linux Directory Structure Post 9331 by gdboling on Thursday 25th of October 2001 11:00:44 AM
Old 10-25-2001
Thanks

WOW!! Thanks a lot. That helps me out a lot.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Directory Structure

I have writen the following code to show the dirctory structure. Can any body help me for using the recursive function in this code? echo "-(0)" echo "$HOME-(1)" cd ~ set * for i in `ls $HOME` do if then echo ".....${i}" cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop unix find on a directory structure after finding 1st occurrence

Hi, Has anyone tried to restrict Solaris 10 unix find on a large directory structure based on time to stop running after finding the first occurrence of a matching query. Basically I'm trying to build up a usage map of user workspaces based on file modification (week/month/3 months/year etc) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm0221
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Structure

Hi... I have a directory which has multiple directories and sub directories inside... what command should i use to get a list of all these directories, without the filenames.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tree directory structure of Unix to get final node path

Hi, I want to list all the last directories from mentioned base path. for eg: If i have a base path say /base/base1/ How can i get the path till last node in tree like directory structure of unix by applying any command. so that i will get following output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Server Network Settings - Share Directory Structure

Hello Unix Gurus Who I Hope Reads This, I have quasi-inherited control over a Linux cluster at a university research lab. The post-doc that set it up is gone, and the person in charge of administering the cluster doesn't know a ton about Linux. Amongst other things, I want to use the cluster... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbl
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a directory structure

Hey everyone I am just trying print a directory structure but I am not getting the desired output. I am using AIX. Script : input file contains : TNP\\ECOM\\test\\1 input_file=folders.txt cat $input_file | while read line do echo $line done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker_me2002
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Directory structure

Hello ; ) again Now I have my file like this : DIR2/DIR3 DIR2 DIR2/DIR3/DIR4/DIR5 I am looking for help to create a loop that will create the directory structure. I need something like this : If "DIR2" does not exist > Create IF "DIR2" exist already > check if onther "DIR"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
5 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)