Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the difference between pipe and filter? Post 9267 by mischiefdemon on Wednesday 24th of October 2001 05:08:32 PM
Old 10-24-2001
It now makes a bit more sense.

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

spam filter

hi I want to write a program that cathes spam mails. The program checks all the mails received by the server and deletes it if its subject contains one of the unwanted strings in a simple txt file. I am waiting for your suggestions (URL, tutorial, referance, library ,etc...). thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter results through pipe with grep

ls -ltr | grep string How can I use regular expressions to filter the results provided even more. I am using the above command as a reference. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckandreou
1 Replies

3. Solaris

logger + filter

Hi, I have an application log file and I am redirecting it to syslog ...| logger -p user.err Howver, the size redirected is too arge and I am seeking a way to filter what to redirect to syslog. any mean to do this, knowing that I do not want to decrease the log level of the app? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter

Hi I have a file containing the below lines 1010001001639 1010001001789 1020001001927 1030001001928 1040001002033 1200001002609 1200001003481 1200001004935 I need to filter lines that starts with 101. It would be of great help if its in awk. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
6 Replies

6. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

7. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
fghack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 fghack(8)

NAME
fghack - is an anti-backgrounding tool. SYNOPSIS
fghack child DESCRIPTION
fghack runs child with many extra descriptors writing to a pipe. fghack reads and discards any data written to the pipe. After child has exited and the pipe has been closed, fghack exits. SEE ALSO
supervise(8), svc(8), svok(8), svstat(8), svscanboot(8), svscan(8), readproctitle(8), pgrphack(8), multilog(8), tai64n(8), tai64nlocal(8), setuidgid(8), envuidgid(8), envdir(8), softlimit(8), setlock(8) http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html fghack(8)