Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the difference between pipe and filter? Post 9266 by kristy on Wednesday 24th of October 2001 05:03:08 PM
Old 10-24-2001
there is some good explanation here

http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/unix_c...ml#HEADING65-0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

spam filter

hi I want to write a program that cathes spam mails. The program checks all the mails received by the server and deletes it if its subject contains one of the unwanted strings in a simple txt file. I am waiting for your suggestions (URL, tutorial, referance, library ,etc...). thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter results through pipe with grep

ls -ltr | grep string How can I use regular expressions to filter the results provided even more. I am using the above command as a reference. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckandreou
1 Replies

3. Solaris

logger + filter

Hi, I have an application log file and I am redirecting it to syslog ...| logger -p user.err Howver, the size redirected is too arge and I am seeking a way to filter what to redirect to syslog. any mean to do this, knowing that I do not want to decrease the log level of the app? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter

Hi I have a file containing the below lines 1010001001639 1010001001789 1020001001927 1030001001928 1040001002033 1200001002609 1200001003481 1200001004935 I need to filter lines that starts with 101. It would be of great help if its in awk. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
6 Replies

6. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

7. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::URL(3)