Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network Post 92578 by Just Ice on Monday 12th of December 2005 11:27:26 PM
Old 12-13-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar
An odd point, when I have loaded SMB4K, an graphic Internet file transfer utility on the Linux machine, I can “see” the shared printer along with the shared file directories on the Windows machine.
samba lets unix share a filesystem in a manner that windows can use it ... what you're seeing is a share that linux sees ... however, afaik samba doesn't do anything for the printing part ...

if there was a way to get your printer it's own ip address on the network like an ip printer, you would have an easier time setting this up ...

i think your best bet is to get an add-on print server to get your printer on the network without needing to attach to a computer (i've seen a linksys version) ... then you could just give the printer an ip address and all the boxes on your network can use it ... setup as regular ip printer on windows box through tcpip port and as regular print server on linux/*nix side ... good luck!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux workstation in a Windows network

HI: I'm having some serious trouble setting up a Linux Workstation to operate in a Windows network. I'm running Red Hat 7.1 and I've connected the machine to a network running an NT server. I just want to be able to access the internet and the network. There is a basically a router that connects... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirzabhai
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing printer with windows via cups and samba

I want to use my linux box as a print server for my hp printer. I downloaded the linux driver for the printer and installed it. I also configured CUPS and printed a test page with it. Samba is allowing my windows machine to see and install the printer, but when i try to print to it, nothing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux on Windows network

Hey all. I want to connect my Linux box on the work network (I'm on-site support, so I'm allowed to :) ). I can login as root (or any other user) and get my IP which I want, browse the web as I've set the box up for that. But what I want to do now is authenticate myself on the network so I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
3 Replies

4. Linux

Sharing Printer Linux + XP (cups/samba)

I keep getting a access denied error when I install from the XP wizard my Linux shared printer. CUPS CONFIGURATION FILE <Location /admin> # # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions. # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sharing a printer

i have made a network between 2 computers and with 1 of the computers i have added a printer. how can get the other computer to be shared so he can use the printer. i am using unix fedora btw. thanks very much ppl. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_jon85
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Linux on/in a home network

I recently received an e-mail from "the faculty" at Unix-dot-Com and I was reminded of this notable resource for folks learning about Unix and its clone, Linux. I hadn't posted anything in two years and during that time, I have been working, in my spare time, on a home network combining two Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annatar
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

wt is the exact procedure to share windows printer on linux machine to print from it

hi, what is the exact procedure to to set up printer on linux machine?The printer is a network hp 3050 printer configured on windows xp machine and i want to setup it on linux fc9 machine to print from it.is samba is compulsory for that? please give the exact procedure to do the same? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Printer sharing issue

Hi, This is what I am trying to accomplish: send printing jobs from the system printclient (RHEL 4) to the system printserver (RHEL 5.8) that connects to a network printer. Here are what I did (based on http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/sharing.html): printserver# cupsctl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a home network for learning Linux

I am working on learning Linux, and somebody suggested setting up Linux on a separate computer, and searching for answers to whatever may be needed, on a different computer plugged in to the Internet. I have a Windows 7 PC, plugged in to a cable modem, and an old notebook, Compaq Presario R3000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdultFoundry
5 Replies